We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoyochi Nikko #204

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
reviews: 2
Hoyochi Nikko #204

Beware to all wanting to rent condo #204 at the Hoyochi Nikko. I have reserved for 2014 and asked the owner to cancel my reservation as her condo is now on sale but she will not cancel nor return my deposit (over $2,500) although she says she only has a $200 penalty, on her VRBO advertisement and her site. I just want you to be warned.

37 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
21. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

So sad to have a special trip tainted like that...here is Marianne's address for those that cannot get in touch with her.

She IS selling...online 204 is worth 337 thousand and she is asking for 890 thousand...

Wish I was rich...I'd buy it...but not at that price...it is a beautiful condo. Too bad Marianne is dealing with things this way.

SHE OWNS another suite beside Hoyochi Nikko on the ground floor...so just make sure you read who owns what before you PAY!

GRZELAK,LAWRENCE D Fee Owner

NOSS,MARI A Fee Owner

Today's Date January 27, 2013

Mailing Address

GRZELAK,LAWRENCE D ETAL

900 FULTON AVE STE 205

SACRAMENTO CA 95825

Chicago
reviews: 39
22. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

We recently stayed there and the condo is looking a little worn. Since the unit is for sale you can see that there has been zero investment into keeping it up.

Stay away until this gets resolved.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 5
23. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

Thank you for posting your troubles with condo 204. We stayed here in March and had a really great time, so we decided to book over Christmas. I booked this past Sunday (PAID), then read your reviews.

I was SO UPSET that I wasn't informed that the condo was up for sale. I then did some research on-line and was very worried from what i found.

I've cancelled our reservation and asked Marianne to stop my payment (because I had just payed( so money wasn't in her account yet). Marianne did as I asked and stopped the money from going to her account, she sent us proof of this. She was upset that I was cancelling but I was more upset that she wasn't up front about the condo being for sale.

I would have never known if you hadn't stated your troubles - THANK YOU!

Chicago
reviews: 39
24. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

On a scale of 1 - 10 I would give this property a 6 or 7, but definitely not a 10. There are some great things (5 Star) and some inexcusable things (1 star).

5 Stars – Outstanding

- Great kitchen with Viking (yes, Viking) appliances and granite counters

- Upscale utensils, knives, dishes, etc. - Everything you would expect in a 5 star condo

- Beds - High Quality and great for sleeping

- Views - You really just can't beat them - see all previous reviews

- Well maintained grounds – Kenny the manager at Hoyochi does a great job

- Pupu’s on the Patio – a great way to meet the neighbors

- “Private Beach” – There is a 150 to 200 yard beach that is only accessible by a few condo associations, so you basically have your own private beach. We never saw more than 10 people down there.

1 Star - Totally Unacceptable

- Broken door screen sat on the balcony the entire time we were there. So, not only was the screen busted, they couldn’t even bother to put it away.

- Bathroom sink wouldn’t drain. Sent owner email, responded that they were looking for a plumber, but never fixed it. Family had to brush our teeth and wash up in the kitchen sink. Not acceptable for the price we paid and a so called 5 Star property.

- Furniture is aged and the fabric is extremely worn

- Dust, dust, dust – there was dust build up everywhere. Not just a little dust, but clumps of it all over the bedroom and bathroom. The bathroom fan was originally white, but looked grey due to the amount of dust covering it. Also, the tops of every cabinet in the bathroom were covered. The one day I woke up and could see dust everywhere in the bedroom. I took many pictures. Looks like nothing gets cleaned above waist level. This is years of buildup, not days or weeks.

Other Things to Consider (may or may not be applicable to you)

- The condo is small, according to the MSL (the condo is on the market for sale) it’s 907 sq. ft. The size is fine for 2 people, but starts getting cramped with 4.

- Air Conditioning: The unit is not fully air condition; however the master bedroom has an in-wall unit. This is great if you are sleeping in the master, but the loft stays hot.

- The pool is also on the small side; my kids didn’t even want to swim in it.

- Others in the condo were paying $150 - $200/night. This is quite a bit cheaper that what we paid.

Overall the place is good, however this is not a 5 star property. My assumption is that since the unit is for sale the owner is not putting ANY money back into the condo or even maintaining it.

Maui, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 68
25. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

My cousins booked and cancelled a Bed and Breakfast VRBO booking .

They cancelled it the same day they booked it and the B and B 's kept the money.

When I checked the B and B's website it does not quote the cancellation policy until after you are confirmed. So you can not read it until after you have committed the payment.

denver
26. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

I just don't see why it matters if the rental is for sale or not, any new owner is.going to.take over the rentals, so why.the huge fuss? I've stayed there before, great condo compared to others for the cost!

Maui, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 68
27. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

Watch for VRBO listings that do not quote the cancellation and refund policy until after you have chosen the dates and booked. My cousins booked a Lahaina Bed and Breakfast and cancelled it almost instantly (less than 24 hours after booking it). When they were told they would not get their money back I went and looked at the fancy website and sure enough it does not quote any cancellation policy until after you are confirmed.

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 2
28. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

Sorry Bernadette, but new owners are not bound to respect the engagements taken by the previous owners. They may....but then again, they may not.

Bethel Ak
29. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

Her and Dean have scammed many out of thousands to tens of thousands. Google Dean Grzelak and you will he's been arrested for fraud, trying to resuscitate his Maui mortgages. They got us for 1500, luckily we caught on before we sent them the rest of the rent for our April 2013 vacation.

Bethel Ak
30. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

Let me post the rest of our story. We have rented a Kuleana unit from Dean and Marianne in the past a couple times and were very happy with it. We gave them 1500 for a deposit on a third vacation. A few weeks prior to our vacation, we hadn't heard from them so we tried to contact them by phone...both numbers given to us by them previously were no longer in service. I googled Dean's name, found he was arrested and is being prosecuted in Sacramento CA. They eventually responded by email and offered to put us up in 3 different untts while in Maui. This wasn't acceptable to us. If it weren't for our efforts, they never would have contacted us. We asked for our deposit back...Dean said he would refund it, but that was a flat out lie.

Reply to: Hoyochi Nikko #204
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted