We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoyochi Nikko #204

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
reviews: 2
Hoyochi Nikko #204

Beware to all wanting to rent condo #204 at the Hoyochi Nikko. I have reserved for 2014 and asked the owner to cancel my reservation as her condo is now on sale but she will not cancel nor return my deposit (over $2,500) although she says she only has a $200 penalty, on her VRBO advertisement and her site. I just want you to be warned.

37 replies to this topic
Indiana
1. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

You have sent over $2500 as a deposit for 2014. Wow!

ON, Canada
reviews: 34
2. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

Did you receive & sign a contract with the cancellation policy stipulated? Did she give you a reason why she wouldn't honour the policies in her rental listing?

Have you contacted your credit card company to see if you can get them to charge back the amount? (you'll likely need the contract to prove that she's not complying with the terms of it.)

If she is placing false information in her VRBO listing, I would contact VRBO to advise them. They won't help with getting your refund, but if they feel it's warranted, they will discontinue her listing.

Montreal, Canada
3. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

Yes, she requested 50% of the amount as a deposit. And sorry I paid it too .....now.

What can I say, I trusted her....I rented on VRBO before and never had any problem.

Indiana
4. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

I can't even locate the listing.

As Susan has stated, do you have a rental agreement that states the cancellation policy? How did you pay the deposit?

Montreal, Canada
5. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

Oh yes, I have a contract....and the cancellation policy is on both her sites (personal and VRBO).

Indeed I contacted my credit card company and I am waiting for their reply. In any case I took the insurance with «HomeAway» which provides for wrongful deposit loss. We'll see how that goes if my credit card provider refuses to make a chargeback.

And I asked VRBO to discontinue the listing. But whether they will I do not know.

Montreal, Canada
6. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

I paid by credit card via PayPal.

When I requested the cancellation the owner said she would reimburse me (she said the same thing to VRBO). And I kept all the emails (copies of which I sent to my bank) as supporting proof.

But it has now been over a month...no email...no refund....and my dates are still on her calendar.

I just don't want anyone else to be in the same position. This is the reason for my post.

Montreal, Canada
7. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

The listing on VRBO is 95283 (property number).

ON, Canada
reviews: 34
8. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

Good of you to give a heads up to others!

I don't think the wrongful deposit loss insurance covers the return of a deposit if you cancel your reservation, but rather, it covers the non-return of your damage deposit following your stay:

Here's the definition from the T&C's:

<<"The term "Wrongful Deposit Loss" means a Protected Traveler’s loss arising from a dispute between a Protected Traveler and an advertiser of a rental property that is listed on a HomeAway Site involving a deposit that, upon completion of the Protected Traveler’s stay is, in the reasonable judgment of HomeAway, wrongfully withheld by the advertiser in violation of the applicable rental agreement.">>

Hopefully your CC company will provide the refund. Have you also contacted PayPal? (not sure if there's any recourse there, but just a thought.)

Montreal, Canada
9. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

Susan, perhaps it is not «wrongful deposit loss» but it is definitely the following:

"Internet Fraud" is defined as a deposit or payment by a Protected Traveler for a vacation rental that is listed on a HomeAway Site where (ii) such payment is determined by HomeAway to have been made to the advertiser and is then wrongfully withheld in that the advertiser fails or refuses to return the payment when a refund is due in accordance with the terms of the rental agreement after the Protected Traveler properly cancels his reservation or booking.

I have already contacted HomeAway and they have not said they would not pay but only to contact my bank for a chargeback first. If my bank refuses to let them know.

So I guess it is covered.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
10. Re: Hoyochi Nikko #204

Your #6 post is a bit different than your original post. You first post makes it sound like she has definitely refused to return your deposit. Your subsequent post makes it sound like she did say she would return it but has failed to do so up till now. I hope she comes through for you, minus the 200.00. It is good to contact your credit card company and homeaway, I wish you luck!!

Reply to: Hoyochi Nikko #204
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted