We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are bed and breakfasts refund policies regulated?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maui, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Waikiki
reviews: 82
Are bed and breakfasts refund policies regulated?

Our cousins, cousins just lost 100% of their vacation rental cost.

They had paid in full and cancelled 3 1/2 weeks ahead.

This vacation rentals website states they have different policies according to what room you book.

We are trying to get them some refund but no luck as yet.

Honolulu, Hawaii
1. Re: Are bed and breakfasts refund policies regulated?

The industry is regulated by the State DCCA...

http://hawaii.gov/dcca

You file a complaint, get in line and wait, and wait, hoping something positive may result.

The only way to get meaningfully speedy action would require getting an attorney involved.

ecoast
2. Re: Are bed and breakfasts refund policies regulated?

But does that (or any other) agency control or regulate room cancellation policies?

Jim, what does the B&B site say is the policy for the room in question?

Indiana
3. Re: Are bed and breakfasts refund policies regulated?

Did they have any kind of rental agreement that stated the policy? Any home or condo I have rented states that payment is made in full 30-45 days prior to arrival and no refunds unless the unit is able to be re-rented. They always have advised me of trip insurance.

Maui, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Waikiki
reviews: 82
4. Re: Are bed and breakfasts refund policies regulated?

The website does not publish a standard cancellation policy. You have to type in room type and the dates you have reserved. Then it just clicks back to the main website page without quoting the policy.

Now when I check the B & B's website it shows all rooms are sold out so i think their room has been sold to someone else. So now the B & B has not lost any money from their cancellation. Hopefully they will now release my relatives payment because they have no loss of income for that room.

thank you both for your input.

ecoast
5. Re: Are bed and breakfasts refund policies regulated?

Good luck.

Hopefully, your relative can visit at a later time.

Indiana
6. Re: Are bed and breakfasts refund policies regulated?

I am wondering when they rented if they received any kind of rental agreement from the B & B. If so, it should state the rental policy. Did they receive any type of written paperwork with their reservation?

ON, Canada
reviews: 34
7. Re: Are bed and breakfasts refund policies regulated?

Jimgloria, thanks for posting this ... I hope your relatives receive a refund, but threads like this are a good 'heads up' to others of the importance of taking note of cancellation policies, which vary a lot, and as beachlver mentions ... having a contract or confirmation with details.

3 1/2 weeks seems like short notice for most private rentals ... but many have the policy that if they re-rent, they will give a refund, less an admin fee...hope that's the case with your relatives.

Piedmont
8. Re: Are bed and breakfasts refund policies regulated?

If the electric in the B&B is out because of a severe (tornado) or storm what do you do for refund policy if they are already booked and stayed one night and have two left. They are demanding a refund. What do you do.

ecoast
9. Re: Are bed and breakfasts refund policies regulated?

Judy, are you the owner or the guest?

Tornadoes are rare on Maui and the other islands.

10. Re: Are bed and breakfasts refund policies regulated?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 19, 2013