We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in maui

Which Kula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sydney Australia
reviews: 4
where to stay in maui

Hi everyone

wondering if someone could give me some help. First trip to maui have read so much that i think now im just confused. What part of maui would have the best weather in october. would like to go snorkelling as well maybe with turtles and uo the see the sunrise. Which town should i stay in?

chicago
reviews: 15
1. Re: where to stay in maui

Oh goodness, that's a toughie. Kaanapali is beautiful, great beach, snorkeling at Black Rock, terrific beach walk & the Whalers Village with shopping and restaurants. Close to Lahaina which is the shopping mecca for the island. Kihei has good beaches, snorkeling and an abundence of shopping and restaurant choices all at a bargain compared to Kaanapali or Wailea. It has a less upscale feel about it, but not shabby. Kihei is noted as the dryest, sunniest part of the island. Wailea is gorgeous, much quieter than Kaanapali or Kihei, great snorkeling, with nhmany upscale restaurant choices. We have stayed in Kaanapali & Kihei and loved both. If you have teens I would choose Kaanapali. If you want peace and quiet and are willing to pay for it, choose Wailea. If you are on a budget check out Kihei. (We prefer the far south side)

Santa Cruz...
reviews: 96
2. Re: where to stay in maui

You will get a lot of responses I am sure, with everyone have their "favorite" part of Maui.

I personally have been traveling to West Maui (Lahaina, Napili, Kapalua) for 30 years (lucky me!) and have never stayed anywhere else. I love the location, the weather, the quiet of this part of the island. You can drive anywhere else on island from there, but you can from the south as well.

A lot of people stay in the Kaanapali area which is north of Lahaina. It is a resort area, with shopping center right there.

I really like the Napili area. Look into the Napili Kai Beach Club, or condos in Kahana.

You will have a great no matter where you stay in Maui.

Aloha!!

San Jose,ca
reviews: 10
3. Re: where to stay in maui

I now try to split my time between Ka'anapali and Wailea. My husband and kids prefer Ka'anapali mainly due to it's close proximity to Lahaina and all the action. I'm liking Wailea more and more. I think the beaches are more natural and beautiful, and it's a much more laid back place.

I'm also now thinking of adding Hana to the list.....

NYC
reviews: 1
4. Re: where to stay in maui

Hi,

We just came back from Maui 3 days ago. We stayed at the Diamon Resort Hawaii in Wailea and had a WONDERFUL time there. Wailea is beautiful, green, with a lots of flowers and trees, you feel that you have arrived to the paradise. The birds come to your balcony for breakfast and everything is so peaceful. The beaches are excellent too. You can get to Haleakala to watch the sunrise in approximately 1.5 hours from Wailea. You can also do snorkelling trips from the Ma'alea Harbor, which is a 20 minute drive from Wailea. I really loved Wailea and I would stay there again, again and again if we have a chance to go back to Maui. Also, there are many restaurants in Kihei, which is not more than a 10 minute drive from Wailea. I do not know how the whether would be in October, but as far as I know, Wailea is the driest and warmest part of the island. I hope this helps a little bit to plan your trip. I highly recommend the Diamond Resort Hotel. It is approximately 1 mile away from the ocean, but if you have a car, it is not a problem at all. You would try different beaches anyway, so I do not think that driving to the beach is an issue. We never had a problem to find parking around beaches. Good luck and have a great time at Maui! It is a miraculous place!

Princeville, Hawaii
reviews: 12
5. Re: where to stay in maui

Feel like I already responded to this post but can't see it so here I go again. There are no places to watch the sunrise in the resort areas of South and West Maui. You can see them in the Hana area or from the volcano. Good snorkling in the resort area beaches, IMHO, especially in the South. Septmber is supposed to be the driest month so I would guess that October would not be much different.

6. Re: where to stay in maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, August 14, 2009