We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation to Maui

Which Kula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington
Vacation to Maui

Hello everyone, I am going on a vacation to Maui with my husband and another couple and out 19 month old in April and I have read so much that i am now overwhelmed. I am not sure what city i should stay in, i want to be in a "touristy" area, and stay in a condo. Any suggestions where to stay and what city would be best? Thank you so much!

7 replies to this topic
Oregon
reviews: 15
1. Re: Vacation to Maui

No real "cities" on Maui. How about taking a look at wizardpub.com for a look at where most visitors stay. There are an assortment of condos, hotels, and B&Bs up and down the leeward side of the island. There are two major "resort" areas, Ka'anapali and Wailea. There are also towns/neighborhoods that are close to but not part of the resort areas where you can save some major cash if you are self-sufficient and don't require a fancy swimming pool. I should also include Kapalua as one of the resort areas though.

We've taken our kids on budget-style vacations since they were babies and have stayed in the Kahana and South Kihei areas and only stay in condos because of the amount of space and the privacy that a one-bedroom condo allows.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 28
2. Re: Vacation to Maui

You might do well to repost this to the overall Maui forum. Kula is a small subforum for a small area with few visitor accommodations.

Ontario
3. Re: Vacation to Maui

Since you are looking for "touristy" and you have a young one (therefore convenience is a major plus), I would say that Ka'anapali would satisfy your needs. Lots of condos right on the beach. Easy to walk to restaurants and shopping.Very manicured landscape (i.e.. paved pathways help getting around with a stroller). Shuttle to Lahaina if you don't want to drive.

Chicagoland
4. Re: Vacation to Maui

Do repost on the Maui Forum. Tell us your budget for the condo. (Presume you will stay at least a week -- hardly worth provisioning a condo for less time.) Do you have your rental car reserved?

San Jose, California
reviews: 47
5. Re: Vacation to Maui

If you want to stay in a touristy area, then you should look for condos along Kaanapali beach. It is a long sandy beach with lots of condos, hotels, and an outdoor mall. This beach is usually packed with people and activities. It is sort of like the Waikiki beach on Oahu.

And Kaanapali beach is also near Lahaina, great for going out at night time for dinner, dinner shows, and shopping.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park
reviews: 6
6. Re: Vacation to Maui

Aloha,

Down on the "main drag" of Kaanapali beach the only beachfront condos are the Ali'i ($$$$) and the Whaler (High rise). If one goes north about 1/4 of a mile, you will find Maui Kaanapali Villas, then the Westin KOR VIllas, and the Honua Kai. The beach at this end of Kaanapali is far less crowded than the main resort strip., but you are still on the Boardwalk and near many things.

Washington
7. Re: Vacation to Maui

Thank you everyone for all of your feed back, it is much apperciated! :) Even though this was on Maui forum. (Silly me did not realize it when I was posting!) I think we will stay in Kaanapali. I do not have our rental car booked yet. Was possibly thinking where we stay would have a car rental special.

Thank a bunch!

Reply to: Vacation to Maui
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted