We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Kula,then beach ---- what month is best?

Which Kula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
FL
reviews: 12
Visiting Kula,then beach ---- what month is best?

Wife and I are in our 70's and have great flexibility in timing our visit. Will rent a car, and visit friends, stay at B&B type places, see Haleakala, sit on beach, etc. , then go to Oahu and big island. Prefer to avoid crowds to some extent.

Will probably go sometime between 1st of January to end of March for about five or six days. We need advice on the best time, and any other good advice.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 13
1. Re: Visiting Kula,then beach ---- what month is best?

I'd pick end of January into early Feb.. Things pick up from Valentines Day/President's day...prices are higher (lots of us go for the Whales) for rentals and rental cars, although you'll still see whales!. Kula may be a bit "wetter". May even be quieter just doing the islands in the month of Jan!

You are talking 5 or 6 days PER island, right? Tight but doable.

FL
2. Re: Visiting Kula,then beach ---- what month is best?

Thanks for the info. Yes, we are looking at 5 or six days per island, maybe a little less at the big island, but again, we're flexible. I'm still looking at all the possibilities ..... whether or not to take guided tours here and there, etc. Not much interest in the whales as we have seen lots of them in other locales. So January might be good.

Again, thanks!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
3. Re: Visiting Kula,then beach ---- what month is best?

I would go in March. A little drier. Easter isn't until late April (!) this year. Whales - Dec, Jan, Feb, March.

FL
4. Re: Visiting Kula,then beach ---- what month is best?

Hmmm . . . another reference to wet weather in January. How much rain are we talking about? Is this a matter of daily downpours or worse?

Also we are still looking at B&B offerings and possible tours or shows. Any comments would be helpful.

Again thanks to you all for your suggestions. This is what makes this website such a wonderful resource.

............jb

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 13
5. Re: Visiting Kula,then beach ---- what month is best?

If you go to the main Maui forum page to the upper right is a FAQ about the weather. Maui has many, many microclimates...Kula is upcountry on the side of Haleakala...cooler and wetter year around. Winter tends to have more rain anyway but south Maui an West Maui get less then east.

Milwaukie, Oregon
reviews: 24
6. Re: Visiting Kula,then beach ---- what month is best?

Oldteacher: Are you looking for B&B recommendations in Upcountry? I narrowed my choices down to two for my upcoming trip:

www.upcountrybandb.com

www.haikuleana.net

The first one is in Kula. I drove by in May and liked the location.I decided to stay, however, at the second one, Haiku Plantation Inn. It is on the lower slopes, but is a good jumping off place for Upcountry, Makawao, Paia, and the Road to Hana. I stopped by on my May trip and immediately booked for my return visit next month. I loved the history and charm of the house, and the owner was very nice. It has lush, tropical grounds and therefore gets plenty of rain. For a few nights I am OK with that due to the unique experience of staying in a historic plantation home. We are then moving to a condo on the sunnier side of the island. I'll post a review and/or trip report towards the end of October, if you are interested and haven't booked something by then.

As to which month, I prefer March to January as both the air and the ocean seem a tad bit warmer to me. (Probably someone will jump in with statistics to prove me wrong, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!)

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 157
7. Re: Visiting Kula,then beach ---- what month is best?

we just came back from two weeks in Maui; first one week at Maalaea, Island Sands Unit 110 and then a week in Kula. The weather was perfect and the beaches uncrowded.

Chicagoland
8. Re: Visiting Kula,then beach ---- what month is best?

It sounds to me as though you may be hopping around a little more than you will enjoy: Oahu, Maui, Big Island -- all in a two-week trip? You plan to divide your Maui stay? Why Kula on such a short stay? (Perhaps that is where your friends live.) If you want to avoid crowds, spend less time Honolulu.

We've spent two weeks in winter on each of the four major islands for over 30 years. Big Island is indeed BIG, if you want to do more than glimpse it; five or six nights would be too little time, IMO.

In winter the northern portionsand higher elevations of the islands are usually cool, windy and wet. This is especially true of Kauai and Oahu, but also Maui and some parts of Big Island too (Hilo, for example).

You might want to post on the general "Hawaii" forum to cover the whole trip you are planning.

9. Re: Visiting Kula,then beach ---- what month is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 21, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Kula