We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Hawaii probably stay in Maui...suggestions??

Which Kula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calera, Alabama
reviews: 1
First trip to Hawaii probably stay in Maui...suggestions??

Going to Hawaii in August for first time and probably want to stay in Maui with my girlfriend since it is supposed to be more chill there. Any suggestions on what city to stay in? What activities to do? We do not want to rent a car either so suggestions on how to get around? Bus, scooter, bike, taxi??

Thank you in advance for the help, I can't wait to get out there!

Virginia
reviews: 20
1. Re: First trip to Hawaii probably stay in Maui...suggestions??

I'm curious as to your rationale for not wanting to rent a car. Visiting Maui is definitely a lot easier with car. There's not really a reliable bus to tourist areas and taxis aren't cheap ($50-80 each way to the main tourist areas). You might be able to rent a bike or scooter in some of the resort areas, but you'd still need a taxi to/from the airport. My point is that depending on where you stay and what you want to do, you may not actually save any money by not renting a car, and you'll definitely limit what you can do.

As for where to stay, I think it kinda depends on what you want to pay and what you are looking to do. Kihei tends to have a lot of more affordable condos (you can get a studio or 1 bedroom across the street from a great beach for $100/night or so), Kaanapali and Wailea have more high end hotels if you are looking to stay at a resort ($200/night or more).

Anyway, I'd repost your question once you figure out: 1. if you definitely won't be getting a car 2. You figure out what you're willing to spend a night on lodging 3. if you have any other priorities (being near a beach that you can surf at or near nightlife for instance).

Hope that helps!

Hawaii
2. Re: First trip to Hawaii probably stay in Maui...suggestions??

I don't know what more chill means but temperature wise it's not cooler than any other island. It's also not hipper than Oahu. It's also not more laid back than kauai or the big island.

There are no cities on Maui but look into the Kaanapali resort. Taxi is your only option if you don't want a car. Shuttles will take you from the Kaanapali resort to other places to get food and stuff.

Activities at Kaanapali are snorkeling, seasonal parasailing, seasonal whale watching, boat trips, golf and that kind of thing.

Hawaii
3. Re: First trip to Hawaii probably stay in Maui...suggestions??

Oh I noticed you posted in the Kula forum. Correction, Kula is cooler than the other areas of Maui since it's up on the slopes of the volcano. So yes it is more chill there :)

MINNEPOLIS
reviews: 5
4. Re: First trip to Hawaii probably stay in Maui...suggestions??

Stay in Lahaina, if you don't want to rent a car at least you can walk to a few places there. The Lahaina Shores is a nice place.

5. Re: First trip to Hawaii probably stay in Maui...suggestions??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 24, 2009