We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Kula

Which Kula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rhode Island
reviews: 42
Staying in Kula

Hello ~

I am planning my honeymoon in Maui, and found a B & B called Kula View that looks absolutely lovely (and affordable). I do not need a hotel right on the beach, but I don't want to be totally isolated, either. With a rental car, is it feasible to stay in Kula and drive to different beaches, Hana Highway, Oheo Gulch, Lahaina, etc., without spending the entire vacation in the car just getting to various destinations? I've read that Kula is central to most areas - in my mind, that means about a 1 hour drive, not 3 or 4 hours.

Thank you.

Lombard, IL
reviews: 39
1. Re: Staying in Kula

Yes Kula is in the middle of the island. Your partially to the summit of Haleakala. It's probably closer to the start of the Road to Hana. Hana will of course still take 2-3 hours to get to. Lahaina will be the farthest from you and take about an hour to get to. A little longer for points north (kaanapali, napili, kapalua). The biggest issue I would see is that you are kinda isolated from what people think of as the typical Maui. You're up the side of a dormant volcano and all water views will most definately be distant. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
2. Re: Staying in Kula

Kula is a beautiful area in upcountry Maui. It is on the slope of Haleakala. If you avoid traffic in the morning hours and evening hours you can get to most beaches in less than an hour. The closest would be in the Paia area then south Maui. It would take over an hour to get to Lahaina. You will have to drive down Kula Hwy towards Kahului to get to the Hana Hwy. Make sure your B&B is legally liscensed.

Napa, California
Destination Expert
for Kailua
reviews: 12
3. Re: Staying in Kula

Please keep in mind that it is much cooler in Kula than down near the beach. People often wear long pants and sweatshirts there.

Many people prefer upcountry Maui to the beach areas. It is lovely and quiet with beautiful views. The price for that is the cooler weather (which many locals prefer) and a bit of a drive. You are about 1/2 hour from the South Maui beaches, 20 minutes to Paia and yes, about an hour to Lahaina.

Chicagoland
4. Re: Staying in Kula

Well...I wouldn't come to Maui for my honeymoon and be in Kula for the whole time. Actually, I wouldn't book that at all. I might book a couple nights in Hana, though -- along with more nights right near the beaches and restaurants of either West or South Maui.

What time of year will you visit? How long will you stay? What do you want to spend? (Greetings from the Midwest daughter of a RI mom!)

Rhode Island
reviews: 42
5. Re: Staying in Kula

Greetings and thanks to all for the helpful replies.

The B & B is licensed and also recommended by Fodor's/Frommers, etc. The rate is about $115/night. Part of the reason I'm looking at Kula is because our budget is going to be very, very tiny. :-) We were thinking that if we could find comfortable & affordable accommodations a little outside of the more expensive areas, it would be worth it to stay there and do a bit of driving to beaches and other sight-seeing during the day. We're probably going to be traveling to Maui in the fall of this year. I understand that Kula can be chilly, especially at night, but considering that it's about 2 degrees right now in Rhode Island, I'm sure it would still seem tropical to us! :-)

p.s. - any recommendations for things to see and do would be greatly appreciated!

6. Re: Staying in Kula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 pm, October 17, 2009