We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiin Wedding -Catholic church

Which Kula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
surrey
Hawaiin Wedding -Catholic church

Hi

We are planning to get married in Hawaii in March next year 2009. We've done some exploring on the net and there are a number of Catholic churches but we are finding it to be a bit of a maze, since we can't find enough pictures of the church surroundings/location.

Would appreciate it if anyone locally or anyone that has married there, who can assist with suggestions for the most stunning venue. Also, we will be looking for accommodation -we are only planning a small ceremony consisting of ourselves our son and perhaps a couple of friends. We don't have a massive budget.

Please help.

Chicagoland
1. Re: Hawaiin Wedding -Catholic church

You may find this difficult. I know it would be difficult in my hometown. Most Catholic priests are not interested in helping you stage a stunning wedding -- or in marrying you if you are not members of their congregation. Perhaps you'd marry at home and come to Hawaii for your honeymoon?

Northern California...
reviews: 18
2. Re: Hawaiin Wedding -Catholic church

ChiSue - I don't think the poster is looking for a "stunning" wedding (translation - like my cousin's giant wedding at a Cathedral with 200+ of her closest friends & relatives) so much as a "stunning" setting. I would think that several Maui churches would qualify if the OP is looking for either a beach side wedding or a lush garden (both of which are available on Kauai if Maui doesn't work out).

ASSUMING you've jumped through all the pre-wedding hoops (all the practicing Catholics would know what I'm talking about :) ), and you've decided on a few possible locations you could have your parish priest communicate directly with the "local" priest about having wedding vows recited. Priests aren't comfortable just handing out baptisms & weddings to strangers but having your parish priest vouch for you would definitely help. You also may find it easiest if you take care of all the legal paperwork at home (England?) before coming to Hawaii.

Kihei, Hawaii
3. Re: Hawaiin Wedding -Catholic church

We are a wedding destination for people from all over the world.

Maria Lanakila in Lahaina hosts weddings from visitors and has information on their website at marialanakila.org/faith/…index.php

If you are staying in south Maui, St. Theresa's is the church in Kihei. www.saint-theresa.com

surrey
4. Re: Hawaiin Wedding -Catholic church

Many thanks for the replies so far. We are aware of all the hoops involved and have begun jumping through them. Really we are seeking any advice recommendations on the differing locations of the Catholic churches. As we said before there are only a few of us so we are looking for a smaller church with a nice backdrop for photographs outside on any of the islands. We don't want a busy location and we are looking to stay in a beachfront condo/bungalow to keep the costs down as we will be there for 2 and a half weeks in total. :) Thanks Again

Kihei, Hawaii
5. Re: Hawaiin Wedding -Catholic church

Sorry, I just reread your question.

I have always thought that Holy Ghost in Kula is the prettiest Catholic church on Maui. It is gold and pink and has a fairytale kind of quality to it, up on the hill with the jacarandas in bloom.

Maria Lanakila is also very nice, and quite spacious. It has a lot of history attached to it.

There is also a really nice chapel near Kapalua with gorgeous stained glass, close to the beach and in a rustic little wooded area, called Sacred Hearts. It would be a lovely location for pictures.

St. Theresa's kind of pales next to the older churches, more modern and plain.

surrey
6. Re: Hawaiin Wedding -Catholic church

thanks Kaiwahine,

I think it's between the Holy Ghost and the Sacred. From what you've said the Sacred sounds like the nicer location with regard to pictures afterwards..We like the Holy Ghost becauseit is smaller and there are only a few of us...Do you know of any reasonably priced accommodation in either area as the resorts seem to be very expensive? Thanks again, Sarah & Sean

Boston
reviews: 12
7. Re: Hawaiin Wedding -Catholic church

While in Maui this past April, we stayed a few days in Hana and attended Mass at St. Mary's. What an experience! From the greeter who greeted us with hugs and shell lei's to the Hawaiian music during the Mass...it was really very special. A small but very welcoming church. Hana itself is a small community with few hotel selections (including the very exceptional Hana Maui Hotel)- but so beautiful. A little out of the way (e.g. end of the Road to Hana) but well worth it for us! We've made our plans to return next year!

Reedsport, Oregon
reviews: 31
8. Re: Hawaiin Wedding -Catholic church

If I had it to do all over again I would go to Hana also but to Palapala Ho’omau Church. I can't find it's affiliation and quite possibly could be nondenominational. Maybe a DE could help with that. But if you want peaceful and truly beautiful surroundings this place is it. The views from the gardens behind the church are amazing. It's claim to fame is that it's the final resting place of Charles Lindbergh. Google Palapala Ho’omau Church and you will find many links to photos and such of this location. Just an idea.

9. Re: Hawaiin Wedding -Catholic church

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, October 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kula