We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel instruction and Molokini tour - recommendations?

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Snorkel instruction and Molokini tour - recommendations?

We're heading to Maui in about 2 weeks. We're both strong swimmers, but have never snorkelled. Any good recommendations for a snorkel tour to Molokini with good instruction? We hope to spend a few days checking out shore-beach snorkel locations on our own later in the trip.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
reviews: 6
1. Re: Snorkel instruction and Molokini tour - recommendations?

Well, a tour would-IMO-be a horrible place to discover you don't like snorkeling. Why? Cause they aren't cheap and you could end up feeling unhappy.

Rent gear for a day, and try it out in the hotel pool. If you discover that the tube doesn't bother you, that you feel comfortable with the mask.........then look at a trip.

Trilogy, Four Winds, or Paragon are all good. They may or may not go to Molokini-it is condition dependent. Book a morning trip.

Princeville, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
2. Re: Snorkel instruction and Molokini tour - recommendations?

All snorkel tours are condition dependent. If the conditions aren't good at Molokini, they will take you somewhere else. I use a small outfit that leaves from Maalaea called the Mahana Naia. The vast majority of visitors use Trilogy because their reputation is that good!! I've also gone out with them and Paragon. I haven't run into a snorkel tour yet on Maui that I didn't like.

If you are interested, there are also a couple of companies that will teach you how to snorkel from shore.

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 43
3. Re: Snorkel instruction and Molokini tour - recommendations?

Last November we did the Quick Silver Catamaran. It was $84 each, with a breakfast and lunch, free beer. At the time I thought it was great. The staff are very good, Captain, delightful and gives everyone the verbal tour. We started at Molokini, after seeing whales, but then had to head south as the seas got to 5 or 6 feet. It was almost pannick, and of course there are always a few idiots that have been in the water that don't respond to roll call, which I found very frustrating.

To save the $$$ I would rent or buy gear, and you will quickly find the good snorkel spots that are safe. We will be back this November, and we shall just beach it. Be certain where you snorkel is safe for a novice or even an intermediate. Being safe is rule one!

Jamestown...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Snorkel instruction and Molokini tour - recommendations?

B&B scuba is the best valet diving ever. Guides make sure you have a good time. Such a great group of people.

5. Re: Snorkel instruction and Molokini tour - recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:35 am, September 15, 2014