We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Kamaole, Grand Champions or Ekolu

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, CO
reviews: 3
Maui Kamaole, Grand Champions or Ekolu

Looking at 2 BR condos in each location, all with some ocean view (Kamaole looks like best view as closer to ocean but Ekolu unit faces the ocean with uninterrupted view). Going in February so whale watching from the Unit would be nice.

Have stayed many times at Ekahi, so familiar with the area, just not sure about trade off of Kikei traffic and proximity to Kam beaches versus the other location being quieter but further from (better?) beaches.

Gig Harbor...
reviews: 110
1. Re: Maui Kamaole, Grand Champions or Ekolu

Ekolu is known for quiet, but is further from ocean and would be last on my list. Grand Champions is not as familiar to me, but distance similar. Maui Kamaole is Kihei address with Wailea so close you can feel it - of all four properties I would choose MK for location, low rise, low density, gorgeous grounds, etc. Kihei traffic, well if you want to avoid Kihei Rd from there just hang a left when pulling out and head towards the south - MK is easier in and out than many Kihei properties. The worst traffic will be at sunset - it stops.

To that list you may want to check out The Palms in Wailea

Milwaukie, Oregon
reviews: 24
2. Re: Maui Kamaole, Grand Champions or Ekolu

For me any of these properties would mean a short drive to beach, so I consider them equal in that regard. I have toured all three and found Grand Champions the least appealing. The units/buildings were very close together with little in the way of grounds. Maui Kamaole is best for spacious grounds if you don't mind the townhouse style and stairs of the 2B/2B units. I like the Ekolu floorplan with one level living...if it is a unit with expansive ocean views and not a steep walk to the nearest pool. Your priorities might sort out differently, of course.

Chicagoland
3. Re: Maui Kamaole, Grand Champions or Ekolu

I'm not sure of progress on the teardown/new build at the old Renaissance. There was a lot of noice from it in January of this year. Some parts of Ekahi and Elua were affected. Don't know if it drifts up to Ekolu.

We own at MK. Many of our guests walk to both Kam III and even Keawakapu. Like LesRose, we usually skip Kihei Road, turning south out of MK and then up Kilohana to the highway. (LOVE to turn down steep Kilohana and see the ocean spread out below -- sometimes a whale or two!)

Edited: 10:51 am, July 15, 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
4. Re: Maui Kamaole, Grand Champions or Ekolu

I wouldn't think any noise would filter up to the Ekolu, unless it was a bunch of bulldozers'!! I lived there for a few months when we first moved to Maui. Just a short walk to Ulua Beach from there. We moved in on a February day and the whales, while lounging on the sofa were a sight to see!! It is quiet and the owners association a bit over the top (especially regarding children) but good for quiet adults.

London, United...
reviews: 10
5. Re: Maui Kamaole, Grand Champions or Ekolu

Have you looked at Hale Pau Hana if you want sea view and on the beach?

6. Re: Maui Kamaole, Grand Champions or Ekolu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 18, 2013