We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where Should We Stay? A condo with swimmable beach in front.

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 58
Where Should We Stay? A condo with swimmable beach in front.

We're looking to stay in Kihei for the first time. I hear it's less touristy with the beauty of Hawaii. I have heard the beaches aren't all swimmable in front of condo places. We are looking to stay in a condo and be able to just walk out to swim/snorkle. Is that even possible in Kihei? We normally stay in Kaanapali but are thinking of venturing south this time. Wailea is too pricey. Any tips or input would be so appreciated. Budget: $100-$175 a night. 2 adults, 1 teen.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
1. Re: Where Should We Stay? A condo with swimmable beach in front.

Practically any condo in south Kihei would be fine. There is only one stretch of beach where swimming is not advised and it's closer to north Kihei than south. There are more condo's that are across the street from the beach then there are that actually sit on the beach. Kihei is a beach town as opposed to a planned resort community like Kaanapali.

With a budget like yours, you may find something across the street but probably not beach front.

Chicagoland
2. Re: Where Should We Stay? A condo with swimmable beach in front.

South Maui will have calmer ocean in winter. It's also more convenient to Haleakala and Iao Valley, if you plan to sightsee there. Kihei is a real town. You'll see locals enjoying the beaches and parks alongside visitors.

I like this website for South Maui condos. The manager has vetted the units before she will take an ad. It's www.mauiownercondos.com

This site has almost every lodging in Hawaii with aerial views and reviews. If you start with Maui Vista and work your way south you will be near the good Kamaole Beach Parks. It's www.wizardpub.com

3. Re: Where Should We Stay? A condo with swimmable beach in front.

Thank you! So to clarify any condo unit that is ocean front in SOUTH Kihei should be swimmable, not all rocks/reef? I found Hale Pau Hana condo that is nice but no air. Can we do without air in November? (At home in San Diego I get uncomfortable after it's 80 in the house)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
4. Re: Where Should We Stay? A condo with swimmable beach in front.

You are right, there is a whole lotta beach out there. Some lava points and a few rocks too but miles and miles of wonderful beaches!! Take a look at Hale Pau Hana's web-cam. It's the beach right out front of it. As far as a/c is concerned thats a very personal subject. I lived in 3 different places in Kihei and only one had a/c. I don't really need it, others do. Temps in November should be in the low to mid 80's.

UK
reviews: 88
5. Re: Where Should We Stay? A condo with swimmable beach in front.

I wouldn't take a condo that didn't have a/c and if you get uncomfortable above 80 I'd advise you don't either. Any condo near Kamaole 1*, 2, 3 beaches is fine (that's practically the whole of South Kiehei)

* also called Charley Young

Milwaukie, Oregon
reviews: 24
6. Re: Where Should We Stay? A condo with swimmable beach in front.

When we stayed there HPH had A/C in the bedroom. I would be fine with that in November. One visit was in early September and it was hot and humid. We spent quite a bit of time cooling off in the ocean, which was just a few steps away. Another visit was in May and the weather was delightful; A/C not used even in the bedroom.

Chicagoland
7. Re: Where Should We Stay? A condo with swimmable beach in front.

We're at our condo In South Kihei in winter. There has never been a year that I didn't use the A/C at least once. You're fine as long as the Trades are blowing, but when there's a lull or there are Kona winds...the humiidity that's been in the air all along becomes unpleasantly evident! The reason some condos don't offer A/C isn't because you won't need it; it's because electricity costs the moon in Hawaii, and some guests are careless about their use of A/C.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
8. Re: Where Should We Stay? A condo with swimmable beach in front.

If I wanted less touristy, Kikei isn't where I would go since it seems all touristy to me and I am not sure "touristy" is even the right denotation. Maybe you mean less "corporate"?

Napili Bay seems the place most like the old Maui I remember, not the "Maui, The Condo Isle", it has become.

9. Re: Where Should We Stay? A condo with swimmable beach in front.

I guess I meant not like Kaanapali, lots of big hotels and t-shirt shops...I went toNapili Bay last time for a few days and I loved it! This time we're hoping to be South to visit the beaches down there that we've never seen. Sounds like we should shoot for a place with a/c for husbands sake. I think I could do without, but I'm worried if it's hot/humid/no wind he might end up miserable and I'd feel bad...Bummer because I loved Hale Pau Hana!!

Chicagoland
10. Re: Where Should We Stay? A condo with swimmable beach in front.

Doesn't HPH have A/C in the bedrooms?