We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there strong winds in Kihei?

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
reviews: 3
Are there strong winds in Kihei?

My family will be staying in Kihei in the beginning of July. I booked this location and not Kaanapali because one of the user reviews was about constant strong winds in Kaanapali shore. Later (after the booking) I read same things about Kihei. Now I don't know which place is calmer. I like to stroll or sunbathe on the beach in the late afternoon but I definitely won't like sand in my eyes. Could experienced travelers give me some advice regarding Maui winds/beaches?

Victoria
1. Re: Are there strong winds in Kihei?

You will love Kihei area and beaches... even in the afternoon.

seattle
2. Re: Are there strong winds in Kihei?

It is hard to explaine it is something you have to experience. You will love the trade winds when then blow in the afternoon and evenings. Been on the beach never had sand in my face. I agree you will love the area.

Mission Kansas
3. Re: Are there strong winds in Kihei?

For a man, Jeeper is truly beautiful!

( I can actually see what that picture is because its closeup! )

laguna niguel, ca
Destination Expert
for Honolulu
reviews: 12
4. Re: Are there strong winds in Kihei?

Hmmm, we have been to wailea twice and both times the majority of the days had afternoon winds that made the beach uncomfortable, pool area was ok. In my opinion kanapali had the better weather

Mission Kansas
5. Re: Are there strong winds in Kihei?

We visited Walea area twice and thought the beaches were gorgeous and the landscaping around the resorts was breathtaking but I have to be honest, the trip into the area was not nearly as pretty as the drive along the hiway from the airport to Kannapali and beyond. Walea/Kehei seemed dry and even the mountains along that way arent as pretty....I guess without attention, that area is drier and therefore less likely to be lush. At least that was my opinion at first, and second glance.

Jupiter, Florida
reviews: 4
6. Re: Are there strong winds in Kihei?

There is a beach called Mai poina 'oe la'u beach park located in North Kihei. In the south end of this beach, there is much wind, so many windsurfers will go here. You and your family will enjoy Keawakapu Beach located in South Kihei. I go there often and it is a wonderful beach. Very nice and calm in the mornings. Afternoons and evenings are fine as well. My husband and I have never had any problems with sand blowing in our eyes. We go in the late afternoon at times, and had never had problems with wind.

washington state
7. Re: Are there strong winds in Kihei?

The most miserable wind we ever experienced (more than once on different vacations) was in Kapalua. In kaanapali we had winds so strong our son was blowing across the swimming pool and the pool chairs were moving. A couple of times in Kihei at the Kam beached we had to pack up and leave while being sandblasted. Last November we tried Sugar Beach that gets a bad rap for wind and we didn't have any. You just never know. It's always calm in the morning, if it gets too windy we just move to the pool or grass.

laguna niguel, ca
Destination Expert
for Honolulu
reviews: 12
8. Re: Are there strong winds in Kihei?

I would agree on kapalua being the most windy, it looks like the wind funnels between there and lanai

washington state
9. Re: Are there strong winds in Kihei?

We found it to be a little miserable, really pretty with nice beaches but sand blasting us in the eyes, our son started crying. Not for us.

canada
reviews: 3
10. Re: Are there strong winds in Kihei?

Thanks to all of you for your recommendations. On average, I can see that there is no significant difference between the West and South beaches in Maui. The winds blow everywhere and it's just a matter of luck to have some calm days. Anyway, I think I'll enjoy Hawaii!