We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in Hana or day trip only?

Which Hana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Oswego, Oregon
reviews: 29
3 nights in Hana or day trip only?

My husband and I will be spending 8 nights on Maui in October. We are early 50's, fit and enjoy active vacations. This will be our 3rd visit to Maui, but previous trips have included our kids, and we have never driven the road to Hana.

We have booked 5 nights at Hale Pau Hana in Kihei, and my plan was to book 3 nights in Hana. I thought we would enjoy the hiking and beaches in the area and the "remote" romantic feel.

After reading tons of posts on this board, I'm now unsure. My plan was to spend a full day driving from Kihei to Hana, stopping in Makawao, Paia and many other points along the way, taking our time and sightseeing. As we would be staying in Hana, we would have our luggage in the trunk and I feel like I have read over and over again on this board "Do not leave your car with luggage in the trunk!".

I had planned to spend Hana Day 2 & 3 visiting the Venus Pool, Ohe'o Gulch, hiking the Pipiwai Trail, visiting Lindbergh's grave and relaxing on Hamoa Beach.

We have an 11:00 am flight back to Oregon. I thought if we left Hana by 7:00 am, we would be fine. But I feel like previous posters have been cautioned against trying to drive back from Hana for a mid-morning flight. We're willing to leave earlier, would 6:00 am work? Or should we just extend our stay on the west side and do a day trip to Hana?

Comments? Advice? Would love to hear it! Thanks!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 13
1. Re: 3 nights in Hana or day trip only?

I really don't have a problem with your plan until you have to get back to OGG for the flight home! I know many folks get it done but I have read too much about folks trapped by rock falls and road closures. I would never park myself in Hana the night before my flight home. Leaving by 6 would be the latest.

ON, Canada
reviews: 34
2. Re: 3 nights in Hana or day trip only?

A trip report posted in the past few weeks mentioned a 3 night stay in Hana, but they aborted the plan after one night there due to heavy rain and no improvement in the forecast for the following 2 days ... they felt it was better to forfeit the cost of those last 2 nights in Hana and head for a sunnier climate than deal with heavy rain for the next 2 days. This might be rare, so I wouldn't let it influence your decision too much, but one of the things I liked about doing a day trip was choosing a nice day based on the weather forecast.

If you do decide to spend a few days in Hana, I would head back to Kahului or Paia the day before you fly out (you could leave your luggage at your Hana accommodations while you enjoy that area until mid afternoon and then head back). The new Courtyard Marriott (at the airport) or Paia Inn might work for that one night stay.

Edited: 8:16 am, July 11, 2012
Sacramento...
reviews: 24
3. Re: 3 nights in Hana or day trip only?

We spent one night in Hana and it was perfect, two might have been ok to if we added a day laying on Hamoa Beach. Here is a link to our trip report for the Hana portion of our trip.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k540643…

You will have a fantastic time whatever you choose to do!

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 36
4. Re: 3 nights in Hana or day trip only?

Ok, I am freaking out a little here because I too am staying in Hana for three nights and the place where I am staying said that we would have "no problem" getting back to the airport for our Noon flight home. She thought if we left by 8 a.m. that would give us plenty of time???

Chicagoland
5. Re: 3 nights in Hana or day trip only?

I'm not certain I'd even DO the RTH with only a week on Maui. I wouldn't be staying overnight.

My mindset is that there are people who go to Hana for weeks at a time -- just Hana. Then there are people who want to see the area -- a daytrip is usually fine. A FEW people want to overnight.

I would not enjoy the scenery or the twisting road if I was under pressure to GET somewhere --whether it was to the airport, or to my Hana lodging before nightfall.

ON, Canada
6. Re: 3 nights in Hana or day trip only?

PDX - noticed on another thread that you're coming in January ... which is one of the wettest months in Hana. Not sure if you were aware of that, or if it's a concern.

Re leaving Hana on the morning of your flight ... I would allow 2 hours plus a good cushion for delays for the trip to the airport, plus 15-20 minutes to drop the car off and take the shuttle to the airport. If the owner will allow you to change to a 2 night stay, look at the two places that I mentioned above, or the Maui Coast in Kihei for your last night.

Princeville, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
7. Re: 3 nights in Hana or day trip only?

The chance of having problems getting back from Hana on departure day is a possibility, one, no one can predict. It's possible, not probable. If it concerns you, you could cut your Hana stay by one day. In January the likely hood of getting rain is fairly large. That's why the waterfalls flow like crazy in the winter months!!

Makawao, isn't one the way but would be a side trip. It's not a good idea to go to the Venus pool as you have to cross private property to get there. Otherwise, go and have a great time!!

Edited: 1:35 pm, July 11, 2012
Lake Oswego, Oregon
reviews: 29
8. Re: 3 nights in Hana or day trip only?

Thanks for all the replies. We (the OP's who are also coincidentally from the PDX area!) are visiting in early October. Hopefully, the weather will be less rainy in October? While we have booked our accommodations in Kihei, we haven't booked anything yet in Hana.

We were hoping to stay at the Hana By The Sea Cottage: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60630-d311863-…

I contacted them several weeks ago, but they don't accept 3 night stays until two months prior to arrival, so I am supposed to contact them again at the end of July. A 2 night stay is iffy at best.

So, we might try for two nights in Hana, but we would probably have to find another accommodation that appealed to us and that allows a 2 night minimum, then book one night at the Courtyard or Paia Inn as SusanM suggested. However, changing accommodations 3 times in 8 nights seems a bit much.

Photomom -- Reading your trip report and seeing your photos a while ago was one of the posts that caused us to want to stay in Hana! However, we aren't really that keen on staying at Hana Maui Kai. We hoped to find a nicer private cottage like Hana By The Sea.

I understand what you are saying, ChiSue, but since this is our 4th trip to Maui we've already "done" a lot of the usual west side attractions, and we thought it would be nice to visit the Hana area for more than just a quick, rushed day trip. We're not lay by the pool type people, and particularly enjoy exploring new areas.

msfuzz -- Thanks for the tip -- I did not realize we would be crossing private property to get to the Venus pool.

I guess we'll keep thinking over our options, and see if by the end of July "Hana By The Sea" is willing to accept a 2 night rental.

Edited: 2:23 pm, July 11, 2012
ON, Canada
9. Re: 3 nights in Hana or day trip only?

Chaco - sorry, a bit confusing for you when we're responding to another poster as well. RE 3 accommodations in 8 nights - I agree that it's a lot, but I think most people who do an overnight or two in Hana do that, unless they can head right to Hana upon arrival, or take the chance and go to the airport from Hana.

Re October weather ... this site provides a month by month description ... with average temps/rainfalls in 3 locations. hawaiiweathertoday.com/trip-planning-weather/

Princeville, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
10. Re: 3 nights in Hana or day trip only?

Hana weather in October more than likely will be a lot better than January!!