We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pipiwai Trail

Which Hana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Pipiwai Trail

I was wondering if anyone how early you can start to hike the Pipiwai trail. I read on the internet that you have to pay a $10 fee to park, but I cannot find anywhere what time there is actually someone to take the money. We are staying overnight in Hana and I would really like to do this hike early but not at the risk of getting a parking ticket if no attendant is present to take our payment.

How early have you hiked the trail? What is busy? Would you suggest going to Pipiwai trail first or the 7 pools?

THANKS!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
reviews: 6
11. Re: Pipiwai Trail

Aloha,

Yes, Smart. The article I linked was about Sophie, who I knew.

Thanks to some problem posters, the threads about her disappeared, because they chose to make it all about them and their platforms.

Some of those posts were deeply personal to her friends and family. Rather than go through all that crap again, I chose to just post a link to one of the many articles about her.

She was a wonderful little girl, and her family is still devastated. The community as a whole will never forget her.

russia
reviews: 69
12. Re: Pipiwai Trail

it is terrible

Canadian Rockies...
reviews: 5
13. Re: Pipiwai Trail

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of this little girl. As a parent, I just can't imagine.

Are there times when rockslides are more likely? I know in the mountains there are different levels of avalanche risk, and eventually it gets to a point where large part of of the backcountry are closed. Is it a similar situation on the Pipiwai trail? Obviously I understand to follow all signs posted on the trail, I'm just curious if there are any other conditions we should avoid/be aware of when deciding to hike this trail.

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 28
14. Re: Pipiwai Trail

A very HEAVY rainfall. When you are near the end of the trail, there are two creeks to cross. Last October, I was able to hop from rock to rock and get across them both. Earlier this month, those two creeks both had a high level of water in them. We chose to take our shoes off and wade through them to get to the other side. I was in water up to my knees in one of those creeks. MUCH more water in May than in October.

Princeville, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
15. Re: Pipiwai Trail

Flash flooding is a real problem in this area. Most likely in the winter months but don't discount summer either. Like J0an say's, creeks rise quickly and even just a little bit of water can turn a fun time into a nightmare. Best to check with the park rangers before taking the hike. Rainfall can make rocks or boulders very loose.

16. Re: Pipiwai Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:42 am, June 19, 2013