We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning the Road to Hana for Tuesday

Which Hana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Planning the Road to Hana for Tuesday

Hi we (me, DH, kids are 8 and 11) are planning to drive the road to Hana on Tuesday. We will be leaving from Maui Kaanapali Villas. Are there weather situations we should check before heading out, where we might need to postpone. We have Maui Revealed and other guides, should we get a CD as well? People talk about the Shell station one, where it that and is it a good one? Do you have any recommendations on which stops are the best and where not to waste time. Any food suggestions, we will probably pack a picnic but may stop for local treats. I'm not sure if the box lunch places will work for us though, still looking into it. DH wants to see Jaws, though I read it's hard to get to and not the best if the waves aren't pounding, any thoughts?

Louisville
reviews: 36
1. Re: Planning the Road to Hana for Tuesday

We have done the Road to Hana twice, both times it was excellent weather. I don't think I would drive it in the rain, not because of the road, but the stops and views if raining will put a damper on that.. Many places you pull off and walk to the waterfall or overlook so in the rain wouldn't be much fun.

I would get the CD and anyone can tell you the Shell location, you will drive right past it. Also, do you homework on which places you want to stop. The CD tells you to stop at every spot. ( Example: we didn't drive down to the little town with the old church and planting fields. Great CD though with a lot of Hawaiian History.

Stopping for Lunch..... Not anywhere to stop between from where you actually begin and Hana. Once you get to Hana there are places to eat. But a picnic lunch is the way to go. Suggest eating lunch at Waianapanapa State Park (black sand beach). They have picnic tables, restrooms and its a nice / shady place. You will be ready to eat when you get there (don't pass up this stop).

Suggest going to Hamoa Beach and Oheo Gulch which is beautiful. We also drove around Haleakala. If thinking of doing the same, ask the ranger at Oheo Gulch about road conditions and weather. If you do drive around Haleakala you will see some of the most natural, beautiful scenery anywhere.

reviews: 767
2. Re: Planning the Road to Hana for Tuesday

We got the CD/DVD at the Shell Station before we did the drive. It's a nice souvenir after the trip, also. The $20 includes the CD/DVD, a nice map and access to a cooler filled with ice which you return after the trip.

We enjoyed a nice picnic lunch at Black Sand Beach, there are several picnic tables, restarooms and a beautiful beach at this stop. Enjoy the drive, it's awesome! :)

Socal
reviews: 24
3. Re: Planning the Road to Hana for Tuesday

No surf at Jaws this time of year...it will be just flat so probably not worth the side trip.

Canada
4. Re: Planning the Road to Hana for Tuesday

Thanks. I've been reading but there is so much information. I have to make up my most do list.

5. Re: Planning the Road to Hana for Tuesday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, October 05, 2012