We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report- Dec.29th to Jan 6th

Which Lanai City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
reviews: 1
Trip Report- Dec.29th to Jan 6th

We are back from yet another wonderful trip to Lanai! Great flight to Maui. DRV: Ron was upgraded to first class with us, we had the seats that are in a pod and fold into a bed! The best way to fly. We arrived in Maui around 6;30pm, too late to get an inter island flight or catch the ferry. So we had to stay overnight in Maui, we stayed at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club, we didn't reallly like it. However we had a quick drink and off to bed. Got up to catch the 9:15 am ferry. The water was very calm thankfully ( I did give Jamie Gravol just in case). She was fine. Saw a few whales on the way to Lanai. Checking in we were not able to get the room we have had for the last 3 years. It was very busy. However a very nice front desk clerk made sure we were close to the room we used to get...still in Plumeria and this time on the second floor....Room 2352....which was just as nice. We hit the beach and pool as soon as we got unpacked. DRV: they got all new pool furniture, new lounge chairs and pads and new umbrellas. The chairs look like wicker. The pool attendants said, although the umbrellas are a little lighter to move around they aren't as big as the old ones therefore they don't provide as much shade. There is also new furniture in the Hulope'e breakfast room, new tables and chairs and the girls are waiting for new uniforms. Pretty much the same staff is around the resort. Christian is now in the Ahe Ahe Lounge instead of the pool. We had perfect weather the whole visit, we heard it had been very windy the week before. They had the Ilhani restaurant open serving Asian food but right after New Years they closed it? As always we went into town to have dinner at Lanai City Grill and of course Pele's Other Garden. We learned that William Shatner was there with 13 of his family members. Apparently he was sitting behind us at the pool, we didn't notice him. Mark at Pele's said he and his family came in and they all got t-shirts from Pele's. Mark and his wife are celebrating their 15th year in business! Mark said Mr. Shatner has been coming to Lanai for the last 4 years at Christmas time. The resort was extremely busy when we first arrived! I have never seen it like that. Too many kids unsupervised at the pool!! I am all for people having fun but kids should be behaved. We have one daughter and she would never be allowed to run around the pool screaming! Our daughter was able to meet another girl and they hung out together. New Years Eve was very nice, we had dinner at Lanai City Grill came back and waited for the fire works, it was amazing! NATURECAT: not sure you have seen them, you must go if you haven't! One thing I noticed, minor thing, they only put the coffee out in the lobby now from 5:00am to 7:00am. They used to have it out later than that. There is a new little cafe right beside the gift shop called KOPE...which funny enough is my maiden name!! I knew I was destined to be in Lanai...lol! Of course they pronounce it KOP-EH. Anyway, for $4 you can get a regular coffee and of course it goes up from there if you want Latte's etc. Ron and Jamie played golf a few times and Ron took her to try tennis....tennis will not be her sport! However she shot 102 at Manele....pretty impressive! In the 6 years we have been going to Lanai, it was the first time we did not see the dolphins at all!! Very sad. Marlon at the pool said they hadn't seen them for awhile and when they do come, only a few come in. WE even didn't see that many whales this year but it may be still a little too early. We met some nice people as we always do, everyone is so interesting. After New Years the resort was totall quieted down, it was back to "our normal". As always hated to leave......our flight was delayed leaving Lanai to HNL but luckily we made our connections. Upon arriving at Toronto though, all the luggage arrived except mine! I understand as of last night it has been located and just waiting for it to be delivered. I think I covered most of the trip if I think of something I missed, I will add to this. We (like last year) ha ha...said we probably will not go back next December, try something else.....but you Never know!! Can't seem to pull ourselves away from Lanai!!!

12 replies to this topic
Alberta, Canada
1. Re: Trip Report- Dec.29th to Jan 6th

Thanks for the tr, luvmaui. We're staying at the Lodge in Feb for 3 nights. We ended up extending our Maui trip, so we were happy to add a ferry ride over to Lana'i; even if it's just for a short stay.

I remember Christian from around the pool. Nice guy.

Brisbane
reviews: 48
2. Re: Trip Report- Dec.29th to Jan 6th

I'm glad you had a lovely trip... thanks for the report!

Scotland
reviews: 17
3. Re: Trip Report- Dec.29th to Jan 6th

two trip reports to read over my coffee break. I really hope the next 4 months fly by, just can't wait to get there!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 25
4. Re: Trip Report- Dec.29th to Jan 6th

Thanks luvmaui for the great trip report! Since we are not getting to Lana`i this winter, I have to experience it through these reports.

No dolphins! That is sad.

Captain Kirk, that is cool that he likes Lana`i.

I miss the Lana`i City Grill and Pele's

Nice seats to Maui, that is always good.

I hope your bags arrive soon. MrsV and I wish your whole family a great New Year!

-DrV

Lanai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 35
5. Re: Trip Report- Dec.29th to Jan 6th

Aloha luvmaui!

Happy that you had a nice trip...thanks for the report. No, I get up so early in the morning during the week that its really hard for me to stay awake that late. (Must be getting old...haha). So I've never seen the show. But there are plenty of sparks flying in town to be festive enough. :)

toronto
6. Re: Trip Report- Dec.29th to Jan 6th

Maybe sometime Naturecat you will see the fireworks! It is pretty nice! I forgot to mention in my report there were two weddings while we were there. Both seemed to be just the bride and groom and a witness...they both looked beautiful. The first couple I would say were in there late 60's or more and the other couple younger.

Yes, DRV, isn't cool that Captain Kirk loves Lanai! They said it was about his 4th year in a row with family! IF, and I say IF, we go back next year I will have to look for him as we will have to go in December again. We have been looking into Cabo San Lucas as well....heard very good things about it. We shall see.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 9
7. Re: Trip Report- Dec.29th to Jan 6th

Thanks so much for the trip report! It is really fun to see that you, DrV and NatureCat are all still going strong in your love for Lanai and your connectedness to this forum. (And NatureCat now lives in Lanai? Is that a new development?)

Last time we went to Lanai was several years ago, and we went at the same time you did, but this time we are going in February for 4 nights. I can't wait! My in-laws will be caring for our 18-month-old son so that we can enjoy this special get-away. I am looking forward to the break and returning to all of these beloved places - off-roading in the jeep, golf at the Challenge and Experience, visiting the Lodge, (hopefully) seeing the dolphins and whales, checking out Lanai City, etc. Thanks again for the report!

Lanai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 35
8. Re: Trip Report- Dec.29th to Jan 6th

ALoHA operagirl,

We've been on Lana'i for several years now. Time really flies! We watched many breaches overlooking Shipwreck Beach on Saturday. (You should have a great whale watching experience in February). We also saw another honu in Hulopo'e Bay on Sunday (we very rarely see honu in Hulopo'e...I think this is 3rd one that we've seen so far). I hope this means they are thriving and the ocean is staying healthy (crossing fingers). Have fun planning your trip!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 25
9. Re: Trip Report- Dec.29th to Jan 6th

Have a great trip operagirl!

Going off on an opera topic, this past fall we saw the world premier of Silent Night, the opera based on the Christmas day truce early in World War I. I am not usually a big fan of these new operas, but this was ourstanding. And it was done amazingly by the Minnesota Opera. So if this makes it to Chicago, I highly recommend it.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 9
10. Re: Trip Report- Dec.29th to Jan 6th

Thanks for the tip, Dr. V! I've heard positive things about that Silent Night opera somewhere else, can't recall where, but I'll keep an eye out for it! NatureCat, how fun that you've been living there now for several years already! That must be a great experience.

I've been hearing a great deal about the proposed wind farm on Lanai, which kind of looked like a "done deal" when I saw C & C's website - and I was a bit horrified, especially by the huge scope of the project. We have several of these large wind farms in IL and IN, and they're a real blight on the communities. The shadow flicker also appears to have a harmful effect on the people and animals. I can't imagine how the views wouldn't be affected too - you can see these huge structures from many miles away. But then someone at Friends of Lanai told me that it's by no means a done deal, and the earliest they could start would be 2018. Thoughts?

Reply to: Trip Report- Dec.29th to Jan 6th
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted