We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waimea Plantation Cottages

Which Waimea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, MA / Bay...
Waimea Plantation Cottages

Curious if anybody has tips regarding securing a "good" cottage at Waimea Plantation Cottages.

After a bit of homework, we realize the property is hit or miss depending on the specific cottage. Any correlation between number of bedrooms and if it has been renovated?

Any specific cottage numbers to avoid? or recommend?

Also, I've learned that you can book rooms via:

- Aston corporate

- Hotel directly

- Consolidators who have different access to a pool of non-Aston cottages.

Any insight on navigating all this?

Lastly, any tips on last minute deals at Waimea Plantation Cottages?

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 41
1. Re: Waimea Plantation Cottages

Just a friendly tip... you don't need to post the same question in a variety of sub-forums. Just Kaua`i works fine. :)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 33
2. Re: Waimea Plantation Cottages

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I really don't think you can pick a "bad" cottage at Waimea Plantation Cottages - all of them are either set on the ocean area, or in a garden setting - they are all lovely and there isn't one area that I would hesitate to stay in.

But having said that - what category of cottage are you booking? I am familiar with the layout there and have stayed there several times - but you definitely don't get "upgraded" there to my knowledge - but if I know what category you are interested in, I could give you my best of picks.

I think that calling the resort directly is always more effective personally than calling some person on the mainland that has no real feel for the property - by speaking to someone that is actually there you just get a better perspective and better information - just my own preference.

There are no "last minute" deals that I know of out there - they are pretty strict with their pricing - the kama'aina price is pretty darn high and it isn't lowered even during slow times - I know that!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 9
3. Re: Waimea Plantation Cottages

What a great place.......really feels like the south pacific. Large expanse of lawn, banyon and palm trees, ocean , very peaceful......quite nice. Pool is on the so-so side....but no big deal. You can even sack out on the hammock that they have tied up for the guests.

And yep, just put your post on kauai board.....no need to specify any certain sector of the island. It will be read.

We really like the resort and restaurant/bar......where we stop after hiking up in Koke'e......every time. Unfrotuately, so far, we have not stayed there as guests ,maybe some day for a short stay-cation.

Have fun

Denny

Minneapolis...
4. Re: Waimea Plantation Cottages

We stayed 2 nights in late April. I think we were in 54 or 55. It was a 3 bedroom with 2 baths. We only had 2 couples, but wanted a separate bath for each couple. The cottages are older, but very nice.

As Denny said, real nice grounds.

We had been to the bar/restautant before and enojoyed it a lot.

This time, we ate supper and breakfast there. The menu stated that it was a pre-opening menu. The menu didn't offer a lot of options. The wait staff was extremely slow. Slow service while on vacation doesn't bother us too much, but this was slow. For supper, it was the waiters 7 day on the job, so that might have explained some of it. However, it took over 30 minutes to get our second cocktail, with maybe 15 people in the place.

Hope they get it figured out, as we enjoy our time there and like a place close to eat.

Kalaheo Coffee Co. & Cafe across from Brick Oven Pizza, has some OUTSTANDING food.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 33
5. Re: Waimea Plantation Cottages

Aloha from Kaua'i!

What used to be the Waimea Brewing Company has transitioned - it is now "The Grove" by Waimea Brewing Company and the menu has changed as has some of the staffing, etc. The poster that stayed there in April was there right around the time of the transition, so it hopefully was just a transition issue and they are back to their normal great service and food.

There is also Wrangler's Restaurant in Waimea Town, and Pacific Deli and Pizza right next door. There is also the Shrimp Station, Island Tacos and Yumi's in Waimea town - the latter is great for breakfast and pies! And of course the famous Anuenue Shave Ice on the side street going to the Waimea pier - fabulous shave ice - IMO the best on island!

The West Side is not a hub of visitor resort services - that is for sure - but if you want to stay somewhere that really feels like "Old Hawai'i" and is quiet and peaceful and out of the resort area mode - this would be the spot to go.

I've stayed in 3 garden bungalows and an ocean at Waimea Cottages - all of them were in various locations on the property and all of them were fantastic - I would have moved into one if they would have allowed it - permanently!!

Malama Pono,

Janet

santa rosa...
6. Re: Waimea Plantation Cottages

You will always get the best service and be best able to narrow in on your specific requests, by calling directly to the resort. This goes for any place. You might end up paying a little more but it's usually worth it. Consolidators and package operators have a lower price for a reason. They're usually given the less desirable rooms alloted to them.

Spokane
7. Re: Waimea Plantation Cottages

Wow... that place is beautiful. What is the beach and beach access like? I did not see photos on the website. Anyone know?

Edited: 12:04 am, August 06, 2010
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 46
8. Re: Waimea Plantation Cottages

We stayed at Waimea Plantation Cottages as a last minute decision (long story). We booked a 2 bedroom, garden view. I think it was #32. It was fabulous. We have walked around the property numerous times while having lunch at the Brew Pub (now The Grove). I really do not think you can go wrong with any cottage on the property. Our place was a bit farther from the ocean but we loved it!

Also, the beach there is really not swimable. We swam in the pool and had a bone fire on the beach with a bunch of other guests (an impromptu party) but the beach really is not one you would swim at. Surf is fairly rough. It's a lovely location and we loved staying there!

www.wizardpub.com/kauai/krwaimeaplant.html

Edited: 12:12 am, August 06, 2010
9. Re: Waimea Plantation Cottages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:32 am, February 03, 2011