We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alii Kai - unit 4202, 4304, 5203, 5204 or 5301?

Which Princeville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
reviews: 30
Alii Kai - unit 4202, 4304, 5203, 5204 or 5301?

I have been having a blast reading these forums and gathering great info for our trip in September to Kauai. Trying to finalize the lodging, and have decided on Alii Kai due to ocean view, 2 bedroom/2 bathroom set up, north shore locale and cost. These units all appear to have great views and decent accommodations, but thought I'd ask for specific recommendations if anyone had one. They are the same cost for 8 nights.

I had been considering A3, D1 and E6 in Sealodge also, but think Alii Kai condo set up would be better for space and privacy for our family. Thanks!

Louisville
1. Re: Alii Kai - unit 4202, 4304, 5203, 5204 or 5301?

We stayed in (I think) 5201 in 2009. It was a new rental and it had some issues. I remember looking at some of the one you have listed and they all seemed to be better than what we ended up renting. Due to the issues with not being that clean, and I think it had not been used for some time and had a pretty bad odor. So, we called the rental company and they let us move. Gave us two options and we took a penthouse unit at Puu Poa..........WOW what a great condo.

I have heard great reviews about Alli Kai, we just got a bad unit. They do have some good views. I do know that the 1st floor units in bldg 5 you have to walk down to get to the first floor. Units the second floor (5204) are ground floor from the parking lot side and one floor up on the ocean side with direct access (no steps) Can't remember if the other bldgs are set up the same. Ask if its a concern for you.

Wizardpub.com has some great aerial views of all the resorts. Check it out....great web site.

Bettendorf, Iowa
reviews: 17
2. Re: Alii Kai - unit 4202, 4304, 5203, 5204 or 5301?

We stayed at Alli Kai 4203 two weeks last September and loved it. With lots of fans, a/c was not needed and the view just doesn't get any better. Very quiet (except for the night or two where neighbors "forgot" that their late-night conversations on the lanai fed directly into other condos' bedroom windows). Like CancunCrew says, the 4200 condos are on ground level from the parking lot side and made it very easy to deal with luggage and grocery hauls. We love staying on the northshore and Alli Kai was perfect for us.

Broken Arrow...
reviews: 5
3. Re: Alii Kai - unit 4202, 4304, 5203, 5204 or 5301?

We haven't stayed in any of the units we listed, but we just returned from a stay at Ali'i Kai in unit 3402. (http://www.vrbo.com/69843) It was a very nice corner unit with amazing views and we were extremely happy with our choice. I don't know how it compares price-wise to the ones you're looking at, but you might check it out. I always compare units based on reviews from previous renters as well as photos, so hopefully you've found some reviews on TA or VRBO, etc of the units you're interested in.

Just from looking from the outside, it appeared to me that buildings 3 and 4 would have the best views and maybe not quite as good from building 5, but I imagine it would depend on where in the building the unit is located. The whole complex was very peaceful and quiet and we would absolutely stay there again.

Seattle
4. Re: Alii Kai - unit 4202, 4304, 5203, 5204 or 5301?

Thanks so much - finally bit the bullet and made reservations today. I have watched a few get booked up this month and didn't want to keep losing possibilities. :) Appreciate the feedback!

Oregon
reviews: 7
5. Re: Alii Kai - unit 4202, 4304, 5203, 5204 or 5301?

MickiChicki, which one did you choose? Be sure to review it for us.

Huntington Beach...
reviews: 10
6. Re: Alii Kai - unit 4202, 4304, 5203, 5204 or 5301?

I know you'll love it there. First stay in Mar 08. We've rented units at both AKI & AKII. Some are in better shape than others (as far as remodeling, up-dating or beach gear, etc.), but never had a problem. Peaceful, quiet, perfectly kept grounds and beautiful views. Location is great, Seems remote out on the bluff, but a short walk (or drive) to shopping, golf, the St. Regis, and minutes from Hanalei and some great beaches like Ke'e and Tunnels, among others. Looked at other condos when planning our trips, but haven't found anything close to the price (call me frugal - not cheap!! lol) for the value. Truly a gem.

Aloha, Brian

Edited: 2:42 pm, July 19, 2012
Seattle
7. Re: Alii Kai - unit 4202, 4304, 5203, 5204 or 5301?

I ended up going with 5203 (that first view picture is just incredible - I can picture morning coffee and evening tea on the lanai, listening to the waves) and will be sure to give a review after our trip. :)

Seattle
8. Re: Alii Kai - unit 4202, 4304, 5203, 5204 or 5301?

Thought I'd come back and add my thoughts on the condo. AWESOME views, loved waking and dozing to the sound of the ocean. Easy access (code lock on door, never had to go to an office) and easy parking. Condo definitely had some updates on furnishings (newer flat screen tv for example, newer couch, etc) but fairly dated kitchen appliances and bathroom amenities. For me, I'm not too picky (if it is clean, works and easy to use I'm good) but my hubby who travels a lot for business has higher standards. He felt the bathrooms need a good bleaching (mildew really needs to be addressed) and the fixtures could use updating (they honestly look to be from the 70s or maybe 80s). Little things like adding sufficient towel bars/hooks would be helpful. It looks like they have been changing things out as they go when needed so there is a bit of a mish-mash going on, but really - with that view, I wasn't looking at the fixtures.

Great beach chairs/coolers/basic snorkeling stuff in 2nd bedroom closet that we utilized daily, with easy beach access to several places just a few minutes south. Hanalei beaches were absolutely packed the whole time we were there (we never found a spot at Tunnels or Ke'e in multiple attempts) but Anini and Molo'a were fantastic. We wanted to be up north with less people, but looking back would stay south (just much closer to Costco/Kapa'a which we seemed to drive to repeatedly for one reason or another).

I would give a thumbs up for the condo location, ease of access, view, grounds. My husband would give a thumbs down for bathrooms, mildew/rust/maintenance, loud washer/dryer and no a/c (having the windows open for the breeze also meant listening to the woman below yakking very loudly on her lanai at 11 pm and then yelling when we asked her to quiet down finally, though the rest of her family we could barely hear so I think it was one of those "loud voices that carry" situations). The cost was average I'd say, and unless you really want that direct ocean view I'd stay some place more like Emmalani Court for a more modern unit for a cheaper price. Can't beat the cooking facilities if you are willing to cook a bit, which we are (saves us a lot of food budget). Back up emergency groceries at Foodland handy, and North Shore Grindz in the Chevron was one of our favorite places (great burgers!). Handy location to the northshore beaches if you plan on snorkeling a lot.

Huntington Beach...
reviews: 10
9. Re: Alii Kai - unit 4202, 4304, 5203, 5204 or 5301?

Thanks for the timely review. We're leaving tomorrow AM and staying at Ali'i Kai II with a friend. Glad to see you enjoyed it. Like you, we really like the location, the peace & quiet (except the roosters/noisy neighbors, 2 things you can't control) and we've had the same experiences with upkeep on a couple of units. But overall it's a great place for us, too. Love walking out to the point just watching the waves in the morning... first thing Thursday !! Can't wait !!

California
reviews: 88
10. Re: Alii Kai - unit 4202, 4304, 5203, 5204 or 5301?

I also suggest you address this with the owner and do a review on Trip Advisor or their VRBO/Flipkey site.

I am not a big fan of Alii Kai because there are so many full time residents there and its had a big turnover in short sale/foreclosures, but some units have been nicely upgraded. I guess this one has not.

Remember that some units are privately owned and some timeshares.

Why anyone would choose staying in a place to be closer to Costco vs the beauty of the North Shore escapes me, but to each their own. I returned 2 weeks ago and did not find the beaches over crowded (nothing like summer) except one day at Ke'e when the swells were on the rise, but I did not try to go to Tunnels. I stayed around the bay and Anini.

Get answers to your questions about Princeville