We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuhio Shores views and security feedback request

Which Poipu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Kuhio Shores views and security feedback request

I'm looking at various apartments at KS and understand the building is L shaped. How is the view from units ending in 01-03, which are available during my requested time period. Do the views improve much as you go to higher floors? Should I be concerned about break ins on the ground floor? Any feedback on unit 115?

alberta
Level Contributor
219 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Kuhio Shores views and security feedback request

I personally have not stayed in any of the units ending in 01 - 03, but have stayed elsewhere in the complex. I've walked around the lawn of the buildng right in front of those ground floor units many times and they do have a bay view. The view may not be as awesome as the front oceanview units, but it is still not bad. Units 01 - 03 may get a little better on the upper floors, but I wouldn't hesitate to take one of the ground floor units if those are all that is available. For myself, I prefer not to have ground floor, but Kuhio Shores is one of those places where I would make an exception. Quite often we would see turtles up on the rocks in front of the units you're considering and it would be great to be able to walk out anytime to watch them.

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Kuhio Shores views and security feedback request

I have not stayed in those units either but have stayed at KS. They are bay view which is also very nice. Everyone walks outside in the evening for the sunset anyway. I have visited condo 205 I believe and the bayside units seem to get a little more breeze making them very comfortable. A ground floor unit would be nice to walk in and out of and I doubt there is much foot traffic in front of the bay side units. However, we left our windows open while we were gone and at night to catch the cool tradewinds and you can not do that in a ground floor unit because of the safety factor. Could get uncomfortable without ac or tradewinds I would think.

California
Level Contributor
29,412 posts
88 reviews
3. Re: Kuhio Shores views and security feedback request

1-3 are pretty close to the road.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Kuhio Shores views and security feedback request

If I had my druthers, I would want to start at the 05's and go up from there. For the view. The ocean is loud enough that I doubt that road noise would actually be an issue in lower numbers, but it could be. We stayed in a 06 and loved it!

nyc
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Kuhio Shores views and security feedback request

Thanks all. We booked unit 115. Now ill be planning my eight night stay in Oahu.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
6. Re: Kuhio Shores views and security feedback request

Not sure what you're thinking... Most of the ground floor units have floor to ceiling shutters that can be closed at night for security, while allowing the breeze to flow through.

7. Re: Kuhio Shores views and security feedback request

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:24 am, September 26, 2013
Hot Springs Vlg., AR
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
62 reviews
8. Re: Kuhio Shores views and security feedback request

You'll have a great time and a great view. But DO NOT leave your door or slider open at night, unless you have lockable shutters. Just to be safe.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
9. Re: Kuhio Shores views and security feedback request

Most ground floor units have a way to securely lock up at night and also enjoy the ocean sounds and breeze. You can check with individual owners. The advantage of being on the ground floor is that you have a much larger lanai and direct access to the lawn and beach. As with any vacation rental, you want to be smart about security in an unfamiliar location, however, the security risk of the first floor is no more than those on the upper floors.

California
Level Contributor
29,412 posts
88 reviews
10. Re: Kuhio Shores views and security feedback request

<<however, the security risk of the first floor is no more than those on the upper floors.>>

I disagree. Sorry! I'm sure it has happened on upper floors, but every single break in I personally know of (except one where it was an employee who took the liberty of stealing a laptop) was from a ground floor unit. Every one had an open slider and opportunity knocked for the wrong person.