We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Point at Poipu...anyone ever been?

Which Poipu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ancaster, Canada
reviews: 36
The Point at Poipu...anyone ever been?

Looking at going to the point at Poipu and wondering if anyone has stayed here and if you could give any room recommendations? Is there any grocery store near?

San Diego...
reviews: 42
1. Re: The Point at Poipu...anyone ever been?

stick "grocery" into the search box and you'll find dozens of old threads with pros/cons and locations.

lots of reviews of the Point

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60625-d87355-R…

and many older forum posts as well.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 295
2. Re: The Point at Poipu...anyone ever been?

May I ask why you picked Point at Poipu? Not that it is a bad place, but there are certainly many other options which may make better sense.

Yes, there are several grocery stores within a quick 5-10 minute drive.

Southern California
reviews: 5
3. Re: The Point at Poipu...anyone ever been?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k46417…

This thread should be helpful. We had friends stay there last summer, and it's very nice!!

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
reviews: 2
4. Re: The Point at Poipu...anyone ever been?

We used to own there, so I've stayed 4 times, in a variety of buildings. PM me your email address and I can send you a map of the property with suggested locations.

I posted a review of the property (see the tab Timeshare Reviews) and photos on my blog trip report from April 2011 - http://kauaiflamingos.blogspot.com.

There is construction going on for the next couple of years - they are replacing the stucco-like coating on all the buildings, so call the front desk and find out what buildings will be affected during your stay.

We love that property - huge two bedroom units with full kitchen, ample living and dining space, large lanais with nice loungers, in unit w/d, and a gorgeous pool with poolside bar. It's oceanfront but not beachfront - you'll have to walk over to the Hyatt or through the Poipu Kai greenbelt to Poipu Beach.

5. Re: The Point at Poipu...anyone ever been?

Been there 5 times...on our way on January 12th to the 20th great resort...ocean front or ocean view rooms the way to go...grocery store in Kiahuna shopping center..or bigger one in Koloa 1 mile away or so....great pool..no beach unless you walk over to the Hyatt..which is very doable...or take a three minute drive to the public beach across from Brennecke"s...great spot....hope you go...it's a lovely place

Edited: 11:53 pm, January 10, 2013
California
reviews: 88
6. Re: The Point at Poipu...anyone ever been?

I have stayed there. What I liked about it was the ease of walking to The Hyatt. There are major issues at this property with owners walking away from their timeshares because the developer (Diamond Resorts) has assessed the living beejeezes out of them. There is construction and I would be concerned about maintenance issues. Read lots and lots of reviews especially if you are an exchanger. If you are just trying to find something to rent, there are a lot of other options.

Don't worry about finding grocery stores. Poipu is a major tourist destination and in Koloa there's Big Save plus some other smaller options to buy food.

Ancaster, Canada
reviews: 36
7. Re: The Point at Poipu...anyone ever been?

Thank you everyone for all your feedback. We did end up booking this, and regardless of the good, bad and the ugly, I am sure that we will have a good time. I have been in touch with the resort and they have advised which building they are working on which is 4 and 6 for the next several months, so we will just stay clear. Thanks again everyone, looking forward to our first Hawaiian vacation!!!

Colorado
reviews: 62
8. Re: The Point at Poipu...anyone ever been?

We are here right now....it's a great property and if. You are here during whale season you have a front row seat. Grocery store is Bout 5 minutes away...rooms are very spacious.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 295
9. Re: The Point at Poipu...anyone ever been?

I feel like I need to justify my initial response, so that I do not go down in history as the party pooper. First, I understand (and that is based on rumor and not first-hand observations) that there may be ongoing mold/mildew remediation at the property along with general renovation efforts, so I would not want to be in the midst of that on my holiday. Second, I do not like the set up of having basically unswimmable Shipwreck Beach nearby and a 10 minute drive to the swimmable Poipu Beach Park. I would pick a property closer to a swimmable beach.

Otherwise, the units are beautiful! We stayed there right after Iniki in 1993, maybe it was 1994, as our beloved Poipu Beach Hotel was destroyed by the storm, and those units were very nice and very modern. The views from the ocean front units are amazing and, yes, whales would be seen throughout the season and throughout the day. Bring binoculars, assuming the trip is between December and April! We walk over to view the sunrise from the place we stay at about 10 minutes away.

Good luck and, as someone said, do call the property and inquire as to the state of repairs. I would.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
10. Re: The Point at Poipu...anyone ever been?

Anna, the OP said she has called the property (in Post 7).

While the Point is not beachfront, there is some very dramatic coastline right there - my dad and stepmom woke early each day and strolled along the shoreline - they liked the hard dirt trail there better than walking on sand. My boys also loved watching turtles surf in the waves that crashed up on the rocks.

To each their own...