We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Which Poipu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
reviews: 5
Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

We're going to Kauai next month for our 10th anniversary, and we're pretty excited. It will be our first time going.

We get in on February 3, at 9:30pm and depart on the morning of February 11. That means we need a place for 8 days.

Thanks to miles, I've got two nights to use at the Grand Hyatt, and three nights to use at the Westin Princeville. (The Sheraton is not available for the time we are there through points)

That leaves three nights to work out where to stay. We're trying to keep our costs on this trip low, so I don't know if I'd want to stay more nights at the Grand Hyatt or Westin, although my wife probably would. ;)

Can anyone give me some tips on where to stay the other three nights, and also where we should stay first?

Thanks for the help!

Sam

Moraga, California
reviews: 75
1. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Well you are staying North and South so how about West at Waimea Plantation Cottages? You can do all your Waimea Canyon/hiking trips during that part of your stay.

astonhotels.com/resort/overview/aston-waimea…

PS The Hyatt is MUCH nicer than the Westin.

Austin, Texas
2. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Thanks jebett for the suggestion! I'll definitely look into it. The Hyatt is pretty pricey though, right?

santa rosa...
3. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Hopping around to three places in only 8 days wouldn't be ideal but up to you. You're going to have a hard time leaving the Hyatt after just 2 nights . If you can swing the price it would be a better spot to add on more days as the south shore weather will likely be better than north. Another option would be the lesser expensive poipu Sheraton. Right down the street from the Hyatt and on a great swimming beach.

Moraga, California
reviews: 75
4. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Yes the Hyatt is expensive with the nightly rate plus taxes and resort charge. Feb is also very busy so I doubt you could find any good deals, but they are out there. Some frequent contributors who stay at The Hyatt could possibly steer you to a good deal. AAA, Costco Travel for instance. I am going to say its over $300 a night easily in Feb.

If you are going to move anyway, I wouldn't move right down the street. I would head to a different location. Even the East side. Oh my did I say that..... LOL

Austin, Texas
5. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

So I guess I should plan for the Hyatt on the latter part of the trip, and save the best for last! Maybe I can sell some plasma in the meantime and save up some more for another night at the Hyatt, lol.

Austin, Texas
6. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Just checked, with AAA rate, I got a price of $436/night at the Grand Hyatt. Wow.

santa rosa...
7. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Jebett, I don't see a problem with moving right down the street if you have to move. All a personal choice but heck, one time we moved from Kiahuna to Poipu Kapili. We knew we wanted to stay in the area. In February the O.P. might just feel the same way and if so, the Sheraton is a better price and on a better beach.

Austin, Texas
8. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Thanks for all the replies. I solved the problem by reducing the trip by a couple of nights, so our nights should all now be covered!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 25
9. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Hey heyyu!

That is not a solution! : )

You'll wish you would have stayed longer. Kauai is an amazing island. There are budget hotels where you could stay for as low as $100 a night. You could even look into bidding on priceline.

santa rosa...
10. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Uh oh..... hope you checked with the wife on that. lol. No,not a solution by any means. You're going to have a problem getting on that return flight after only 6 nights. Wish you had asked about budget places to stay. They wouldn't be the Hyatt but hey, you'd still be on Kauai. Lots of options there. Too late?

Edited: 5:29 pm, January 08, 2013