We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flooding now? Coming Saturday.

Which Poipu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Canada
reviews: 3
Flooding now? Coming Saturday.

Travelling with 2 other families to Poipu on Saturday. We've heard about the flooding in Kauai due to heavy rain. So sorry to see what has happened to some people's homes. Anything we can bring to help? Are things easing up, yet? Coming from Vancouver, we know our rain!!

San Diego...
reviews: 44
1. Re: Flooding now? Coming Saturday.

I suspect the County would say just come and enjoy yourself. THings are drying out fairly fast with the sun and high winds today.

The declaration of disaster is mostly so the State can release emergency funds to do road repair and to speed up the permitting process. It's not like there is widespread destruction. I'm sure there are some people who are hurting from flooded homes, but it's not a great number.

San Diego...
2. Re: Flooding now? Coming Saturday.

further, the weather guys are calling for a chance of more thunderstorms for the weekend. Maybe it's Maui/BI's turn though. X fingers.

San Diego...
3. Re: Flooding now? Coming Saturday.

Nope. Major pounding for Kauai on March 8/9 in the dark hours. Huge rainfall. Hanalei bridge is closed again with stream flows back up where they were on Monday.

waterdata.usgs.gov/hi/nwis/uv…

Kauai, Hawaii
reviews: 2
4. Re: Flooding now? Coming Saturday.

I posted on your Kapa'a thread,too, Dave. We got virtually nothing over in Kalaheo. I had hoped the whole island got a pass.

The forecast last night had looked like Maui was going to take the brunt of it. They had a miserable time of it yesterday, too.

OP - I'm close to Poipu. I think it is fine, but Janet should chime in soon from Koloa.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 46
5. Re: Flooding now? Coming Saturday.

My husband and BIL are on their way to Kauai today. I'm hoping they have some nice golf weather over the weekend before they start work on Monday.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 33
6. Re: Flooding now? Coming Saturday.

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I had to drive back from Kapa'a last night around 10pm - that was not fun! Started raining around Wailua and got worse and worse until it eased off around Halfway Bridge.

Last night we did get big wind (still going on) and rain here - no rain this am (6am) but our power is going on and off.

We'll see what daybreak brings.

Malama Pono,

Janet

PS - nice to have this iPhone when the power is out!

California
reviews: 89
7. Re: Flooding now? Coming Saturday.

Kuhio closed at Kalihiwai Bridge and at Hanalei Bridge remain closed. Wailua Bridge just reopened.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
8. Re: Flooding now? Coming Saturday.

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Other than being very cold and windy here in the Po'ipu area this morning - it hasn't been raining heavily since sometime last night.

Yesterday was quite nice and there were tons of people out at Po'ipu Beach enjoying the sun.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Edited: 11:45 am, March 09, 2012
9. Re: Flooding now? Coming Saturday.

We are at our house on the Kiahuna Golf Course. Some heavy winds at night, I don't think it rained; I have been up since 5 am and power was on.

Yesterday we had a beautiful, occasionally gusty, day at the beach. We had avoided the ocean until then due to flooding effects.

Sky light overcast- looks ok today.

Edited: 11:47 am, March 09, 2012
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
10. Re: Flooding now? Coming Saturday.

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Here is an article in today's paper about our "Waterworld" and the upcoming storm for the weekend:

thegardenisland.com/news/local/waterworld-ka…

Malama Pono,

Janet