We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

Which Poipu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

Hi, I have a one year old and was thinking about bringing her with us on the helicopter tour. She would be a free lap child. Has anyone done this or been up with someone with a child on their lap? I am just curious how this would be. Is it really loud? Scary? Safe? Thanks for any feedback.

43 replies to this topic
Hana, Hawaii
1. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

Oh my! Does the post number represent the IQ too?

Edited: 4:11 pm, January 28, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 25
2. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

Are you serious? I would not even consider that with my child.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
3. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

Even if you did bring your child, I doubt they would be free - not the same as major airlines. :)

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 6
4. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

This came up a few weeks ago when a father wrote in asking about a helicopter tour with his two tiny children, both of whom were going to be held on parental laps. To the surprise and distress of several posters here, at least one helicopter company in Kauai was willing to allow this.

A few other posters wrote in saying they had done this with their children and had a good time. It is possible.

But ask yourself, is this something you really want to do so badly that you are willing to take a risk with your baby? Of course, nothing is likely to go wrong, but there is a reason that adults wear seat belts in helicopters.

Colorado
5. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

Yes, this was verified by the tour company in Kauai. I was surprised too.

Hana, Hawaii
6. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

Thanks for clarifying this post a bit "kaleberg". All I'll say is "baby Caddy" would have never made it to his second BD! :(

Edited: 4:31 pm, January 28, 2011
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 98
7. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

>>>but there is a reason that adults wear seat belts in helicopters.<<<

Yes, there is, plus the floatation device (the yellow bag) around your waist.

Sorry, but I can't imagine any parent even considering it, not only the saftey issue for the baby, but consideration for other paying passengers.

3Chihuahuas

Los Angeles...
reviews: 295
8. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

<<verified by the tour company in Kauai>>

Oh, brother....

Ain't their kid, is it? And, they already funded their liability policy anyway. Hope that it has sufficient limits of coverage.

It is your kid - you will do what you want anyway. I am not sure what I find more distressing, your question or Kauai tour company.

BTW, which heli company is it that you consulted?

Edited: 5:45 pm, January 28, 2011
santa rosa...
9. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

3chis brings up a good point.... what about the other passengers? Maybe they've flown over with crying children around them and wouldn't want this on their helicopter tour also.

That aside, would anyone take their baby on their lap in their car without restraint? It's a fair analogy because the helicopters dip , dive and do all kinds of maneuvers. Look, the only reason they allow is for business reasons. Put the babies on the parents laps then that frees up more seats for those $250 paying passengers.

I was one of those shocked posters when told the helo companies actually allow this. Just because they allow it doesn't make it smart.

santa rosa...
10. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

Have to add, there is a reason why many parents of children will split up . Meaning..... the mom and dad will not fly together in the same helicopter. Reason being? Accidents have happened on Kauai. A good number over the past 20 years.

Reply to: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted