We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BI-Plane Tour (Tropical BI Plane)

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford, Wisconsin
reviews: 7
BI-Plane Tour (Tropical BI Plane)

Our trip is not until mid October, but I am looking at the BI-plane tour of the island. I see many different helicopter and small plane tours, but this one looked like a lot of fun. Looking for feedback from anyone who has taken the ride or has advice about it.

Houston, Texas
1. Re: BI-Plane Tour (Tropical BI Plane)

The Kauai Revealed book seems to state that the views are "lousy" because they are full of mostly wings and support bars! Do a helicopter instead!

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 9
2. Re: BI-Plane Tour (Tropical BI Plane)

The aircraft that you would be flying is a WACO, and is a bi plane. Yep, a biplane has wings above you, as well as wings below. We often see the WACO flying as we are doing our daily hikes.

Actually, you can tell from the sound of the radial engine that it is the WACO, before looking up to get a visual.

Any low wing aircraft is going to have an obsturcted view of the ground, but you can still see down, and have a good time. Passengers can sit side by side in the open cockpit.

Personally, for a super air tour of Kauai in a fixed wing, we would recommend WINGS OVER KAUAI or AIRVENTURES which are high wing, with large viewing windows. everyone has a window seat.

However, if you wish a little zing, with the open cockpit and wish to feel like the aviators who pionnered aviation, and add some flying fun into your air tour.....you have the WACO. Pronounced ( Wha-Ko).

These are new aircraft, manufactured today. Yep, it is a open cockpit, big radial engine, bi-wing, tail dragger.

As mentioned before , do your research, and make an informed decision as what type of air tour to take.

We have not flown in the WACO, but have flown with both (fixed wing) Wings over Kauai, and AirVentures. And several different helicopter companies, doors off and doors on, and Erica for a birthday present a few years back gave me a hands on flight lesson, ( a real lesson) in an R-22 Robinson helo, with Mauna Loa here on Kauai.

On, and when we get back from the mainland, in May, that birthday present is gong to be SKY DIVING here on kauai. I have reaearched the company, and met the owner and his pilots and talked with them at length, questiioned them on the cessna aircraft ( that has brand new engine ), and watched their procedures on video. Feels good to me.

Point being, when planning on any activities do a little research as to your choices. If it does not feel good for any reason, dont do it.

3. Re: BI-Plane Tour (Tropical BI Plane)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:28 am, March 14, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Lihue