We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area Around Garden Island Inn

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Spring, Texas
reviews: 1
Area Around Garden Island Inn

We will be on Kauai for 4 nights next August. Since we only have a few days, we would like to be centrally located to eliminate some travel time. We plan on spending 1 day at the Canyon, 1 day on the North Shore, a day kayaking and biking on the east side, and then maybe some time in Poipu and at Kalapaki Beach. We don't plan on being in the room too much, so we don't need resort amenities. The Garden Island Inn gets excellent reviews and seems to be the kind of funky little place we would like. It's priced right and near the airport, so we won't have to get up too early for the flight back to HNL. I really have two questions - Is there another place that would be more centrally located in the same price range? And is the area around the Garden Island Inn safe for walking to/from restaurants, over to Duke's and Kalapaki Beach, etc.

Thanks for the help.

California
reviews: 88
1. Re: Area Around Garden Island Inn

It is safe for walking, but besides walking over to Kalapaki Bay there isn't much more except to see the cruise ship. When the ship is in you'll see lots of people walking. I certainly wouldn't hang out a bar at 2am around that area though.

GII is a funky motel right across from the popular Marriott, Duke's, and the bay. For 4 days I might consider another place, but if it looks like a place you would enjoy, go for it. I might consider staying in Kapaa since more things you want to do are closer to that town and its closer to the North Shore where you will for sure want to hang out since its summer. Islander On The Beach is really reasonable and I like Courtyard By Marriott.

Edited: 8:50 pm, September 30, 2013
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
2. Re: Area Around Garden Island Inn

It is my belief that safe particularly during day. When cruise ship in there are lots of walkers in the area going to the nearby shops and restaurants. In evening likely OK for places you mentioned. Would not venture out to the jetty in the harbor after dark but does not sound like you planned to as it is not in direction you mentioned.

Spring, Texas
3. Re: Area Around Garden Island Inn

Thank you for your quick replies! I will look at the other places you mentioned. Are those within walking distance of restaurants and shops? We are two couples in our 50s and I can't imagine that any of us would be able to stay out until 2am, especially with the activities we have planned during the day. (There was a time though...) We would just like to be able to walk to dinner or nearby shops in the evening.

California
4. Re: Area Around Garden Island Inn

Yes both mentioned are walking distance to restaurants. Islander is behind The Coconut Marketplace and my only hesitation to recommend it is they are remodeling the entire project, but you aren't coming until next summer so hopefully its done by then. Courtyard is next to the area where Islander is. My favorite restaurant is close by. Its in the Kauai Coast Beach Resort and called Hukilau Lanai. In the town of Kapaa are many restaurant options and you can park your car and walk all over town. Smith's Luau is also close by and I recommend going to that luau if you care to see one.

There is another "funky" motel in Kapaa called Coral Reef. It reminds me a lot of Garden Island Inn but a bit nicer. Just remember the ocean isn't great for swimming in that area.

The bike path is behind this area and so nice for long walks. I am not normally an east side lover, but it would be better than GII to me for anything over 1 night.

Spring, Texas
5. Re: Area Around Garden Island Inn

Being on the bike path sounds very inviting. It is one of the things we want to do. We did Smith Luau a few years ago on a cruise stop and loved it. We are not doing a luau this time. Is the beach by Islander ok for swimming in, or is the entire east side that is not good for swimming?

Once again, thanks so much for your time and expertise.

California
6. Re: Area Around Garden Island Inn

Almost the entire east side isn't good for swimming. You can swim up at Kealia Beach but stay near the lifeguards. Its a good boogie boarding location and popular with the locals.

If you've done Smiths, no need to go again. There are many bike rentals dotted along the main highway through town. Its a really nice path and a not so expensive exursion. You could even rent a tandem bike.

Here's more information on bike rentals a the path.

http://www.coconutcoasters.com/

I have stayed at Courtyard a few times and Islander as well. Islander is a bargain, but Courtyard is nicer. I love their firepit out by the pool and the rooms are large, at least mine was.

Here are some Islander rentals by owner:

alohacondos.com/kauai/islander-on-the-beach

My uncle and cousins have rented either 224 or 225. I can't remember.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
reviews: 69
7. Re: Area Around Garden Island Inn

Stayed at the GII a few years ago for one night since we couldn't get into our rental until the next day. It was just fine. Rooms are not all that big but certainly were adequate and the place was very clean. We certainly didn't feel unsafe in that area at all. There aren't a whole lot of dining options in the area - probably would have more options in Kapaa.

Vacaville...
8. Re: Area Around Garden Island Inn

Islanders is great for a nice place on a budget. We did a short 5 night stay and really liked being central and we could grab a quick cheap meal at the marketplace just across the parking lot. It has a pool and bar too.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
9. Re: Area Around Garden Island Inn

Last year we spent a night at GII, saved big bucks on flight home on Mon. Think it could be good place to place to stay to be centrally located. to make day trips, not really place to just stay for several days if you plan to stay put,

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 40
10. Re: Area Around Garden Island Inn

Lots of dining options in the vicinity of the GIL. Kalapaki Beach Hut, Kalapaki Joe's, Feral Pig, a Thai place, Splash, Duke's, Duke's Barefoot Bar, Portofino, Kukui's, Mariachi's and JJ's Broiler (although admittedly, the last to aren't very good).

Edited: 1:24 am, October 01, 2013