We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car insurance

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clayton, Idaho
Level Contributor
2 posts
40 reviews
rental car insurance

what is hawaii's "no fault policy" on the rental car insurance? do we need the extra coverage?

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
20,624 posts
50 reviews
1. Re: rental car insurance

First, check with your own insurance company. You should be able to add a rental car rider at very little cost, if you're not already covered. Rent the car using a credit card that will cover you. Between our insurance and Amex we never take the rental company's insurance. It's outrageously priced. And the time I did bang up a car I was covered for about 95% of the costs.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
8,507 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: rental car insurance

Agee with Pam.....

I just lay out my AAA Auto insurance card, and charge the rate of the rental on my credit card.

I think that if I do have an accident, it would be like having an accident in my own car and have to come up with the deductable. Probably put it on my credit card, not sure since in 50 years of renting cars, no accidents.

I really do not need to be up sold by the counter agents, and I am totally prepared and take care of their sales presentation of them trying to up grade me, or have me take their insurance, or have them fill fill up the tank for higher rates or whatever.

I . Happy smile, and courteous greeting by ME !

2. I have all my paperwork and I.D.'s ready.

3. Very friendly let them know

B. I do not need an upgrade

C. I will be fliing the car up myself and return it full to them

The only guy that sniveld back to me, was that famous dude on Mauai, I think he was with Alamo.......who cares, let him mumble , I was out the door and headed for my rental car.

I am totally pleasant all the time, always smiling, no matter what the air travel had been.

99% of the time, they want me out of there, and get in their best shot at the next fish in line, since it is obvious that I am an experienced traveler who is not biting.

Clayton, Idaho
Level Contributor
2 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: rental car insurance

thanks so much, always glad to use trip advisors service, the response is always awesome, Mahalo!!!

Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
35,636 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: rental car insurance

I have heard the staff at Avis car rentals threaten their customers (including ME) that Hawaii has "no fault" so I should buy their grossly expensive (and unnecessary) car insurance. A nice money-making ploy, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck!

Hawaii's no fault is not a problem for those who rent cars. And if you have any questions, start with your insurance company. Many of us on these forums also have coverage through our major credit cards - so check that out as well.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
12,824 posts
124 reviews
5. Re: rental car insurance

>>>I have heard the staff at Avis car rentals threaten their customers (including ME) that Hawaii has "no fault" so I should buy their grossly expensive (and unnecessary) car insurance. A nice money-making ploy, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck! <<<

We had the same thing with Alamo one time.....never had such a hard sell...must have said NO! 10 times. As others have said, double check with your own auto insurance and then check coverage by using a credit card. VISA Signature will cover deductible and loss of use.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: rental car insurance

Our experience with Avis last month was that the agent stressed at least twice that we would be responsible for the full value of the car if we didn't take the insurance but we have AE's insurance so we didn't fall for the scare tactic.

The list of different insurances has become ridiculous - CDW, LDW, roadside assistance, personal property, etc. etc. The list goes on and on. One could easily pay double the rental rate in insurance.

Edited: 10:28 pm, February 16, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
606 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: rental car insurance

I certainly agree with all the other postings in response to this matter. It is sickening how the rental car industry has for years abused their more naive customers to pay truly insane daily rates for added & usually unnecessary insurance, gasoline fillups on car return, etc, etc. I liken these sales tactics to the finance managers at auto dealerships who distort a fairly priced cash contract with their new car buyers via above market level high interest rates, high margin rustproofing/anti-theft/window etching options, dealer prep packages, etc, etc. ANY rental car agency in ANY city will normally take unfair advantage of their clients in this fashion if they sense such a deal can be struck.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
364 reviews
8. Re: rental car insurance

Rental car insurance is 100% profit for the rental companies and I am pretty sure that clerks may get a commission for selling the additional coverage. They all try to strong arm because this is where the clean profit lays. Even in Cali, when I rent a car for a long business trip, they go through the "your insurance will be primary," "you will have to pay the deductible upfront" should something happen, etc. They will negotiate down the daily rate, if you are interested. Otherwise, yes, your insurance will step in most cases, but do check with your carrier. In addition to Amex coverage in general, I also have an Amex rider where it charges me $18.95 for a rental period, however long, and will step in as a primary coverage in the event of an incident. When I return the car, and all is well, I complete the transaction with a different card, if I do not want the $18.95 charged. Just some options here..

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
9. Re: rental car insurance

The AMEX insurance Anna mentions, that is primary, is $24.95 for entire rental period of up to 42 days. (It does have lower rate in California)

Level Contributor
8,289 posts
31 reviews
10. Re: rental car insurance

>>>>" I am pretty sure that clerks may get a commission for selling the additional coverage."<<<<<<

There is no doubt about it.....the car rental agents are compensated for all the upselling they do...whether it be added insurance, upgrades, Fuel scam option etc...

One must be at their most alert when in front of that counter....no matter how bedraggled from the journey . This is the time for the agent to play on the weary traveller in order to line their own pockets.

Credit card Collison coverages are fine....but I have yet to come across one that includes Liability...which could potentially run into the $$$$Millions.

A Private Comprehensive package is optimal...collision, theft, loss of use, liability.

Edited: 7:53 pm, February 17, 2013