We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai Car Rentals in March

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Litchfield Park, AZ
reviews: 2
Kauai Car Rentals in March

Hi all,

My boyfriend is surprising me with a trip in March from the 1-7th. Any advice on where to rent a vehicle without such a large security deposit? (avis was asking $400 deposit)

Thank you!

Candice

Princeville, Hawaii
reviews: 11
1. Re: Kauai Car Rentals in March

If you can find a car, grab it. Try discount Hawaiiancarrentals. a real favorite on this site.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 42
2. Re: Kauai Car Rentals in March

We've never paid a security deposit up front. We rent through http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ and they seem to have the best prices. Is there an age restriction (ie under 25)?

Moraga, California
reviews: 74
3. Re: Kauai Car Rentals in March

Security deposit? That's a new one. Are you over 25? Do you have a credit card? If not that could be why you need a deposit via a debit card. If you only use a debit card, they ask that you have a certain amount in your account and will debit that amount.

Just curious how you can be surprised with a trip to Kauai and you told us! Seems the cat is out of the bag.....

Litchfield Park, AZ
4. Re: Kauai Car Rentals in March

Yeah, im 26.Each company says their is a Security deposit for different amounts. i was just hoping to not have that money withheld while i was there. oh well.

thank you.

...maybe i worded that wrong...he did surprise me with the tickets. I'm about to start my Dental Hygiene program and didn't think i was able to go on a big trip for another 3 years.

Litchfield Park, AZ
5. Re: Kauai Car Rentals in March

And thank you, Discount hawaii car rental is bar far the cheapest!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 93
6. Re: Kauai Car Rentals in March

AFAIK, all car rentals will place a "hold" on your credit card at the time of rental. With Enterprise last Fall, I remember the agent stating the hold was the estimated rental total plus 20%. In all the years of renting a car, I didn't remember an agent ever telling me this. Enterprise also wanted the hotel name or phone number of our lodging. Never had that asked before either.

3Chihuahuas

Knoxville, Tennessee
reviews: 21
7. Re: Kauai Car Rentals in March

While I don't recall Avis telling us about the hold when we rented in January, we did run into this when we rented in the Turks & Caicos in November. Hold was 1.5 times the rental rate. Guess rental car firms are now making sure there's enough credit on the renter's credit card to cover the cost of the rental and then some, in case they need to bill extra for gas fill-ups, damage, late return, etc. Since returning a rental car is one of the last things people do when on vacation, the rental firms want to insure the renter's credit card won't be declined when they actually post the charge. Unfortunately some people do run their credit cards at close to their maximum credit limit and may not have a second card to fall back on if they've exceeded their limit on one.

For both rentals we were asked to provide the name of where we were

staying. Since both were well-known resorts, they didn't ask for a phone #

but I could see this happening if you are doing a private rental (house, condo) so it's not a bad idea to have this info available when you go to get your car.

Litchfield Park, AZ
8. Re: Kauai Car Rentals in March

hmmm maybe its just a new policy! thanks for your input!

-Candie

Michigan
reviews: 1
9. Re: Kauai Car Rentals in March

We are always asked where we are staying. Was nothing unusual for us.

10. Re: Kauai Car Rentals in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 01, 2014