We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do people choose doors off over doors on for photo taking?

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mt Evelyn
reviews: 7
Do people choose doors off over doors on for photo taking?

I am looking at heli tours and can't figure out why so many people

go for doors off. Is it mostly for unobstructed photo taking? Is it for the thrill? I feel that it may be windy and blustery and that seems distracting to me so I am leaning towards doors on. Am I missing something?

Thanks CB

11 replies to this topic
Orlando
reviews: 29
1. Re: Do people choose doors off over doors on for photo taking?

No glare from the glass, and while it was windy, it was no more so than driving a convertible (maybe not even that bad). We did it mostly for the unobstructed photos, and felt it was worth it and wasn't scary at all.

Scottsdale, Arizona
reviews: 50
2. Re: Do people choose doors off over doors on for photo taking?

ditto above

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
3. Re: Do people choose doors off over doors on for photo taking?

Yes the photos are better with doors off. If you sit up front with the Helo pilot you have the windshield in front of you for wind protection. The pilot circles waterfalls, etc. so passengers can get photos from their side of the Helo.

Peterborough
4. Re: Do people choose doors off over doors on for photo taking?

When we flew with Blue Hawaiian a few years ago I decided to not even take a camera. We ordered the video that is recorded as we flew. The reason being was that I wanted to enjoy the flight without being concerned with camera settings, point of view etc. By focusing on the flight and having the video to reference later, I feel we got to see and enjoy more of the flight. The video turned out to be fantastic. I also strongly endorse Blue Hawaiian!!

Wisconsin
5. Re: Do people choose doors off over doors on for photo taking?

Yes.

And also my wife and I noticed that the smaller choppers have a better chance to linger longer, turning sharper, are more manuverable than the bigger choppers. We last flew doors off on the Big Island and saw first hand how it was. And we recalled our Blue Hawaiian on Kauai as the smaller helos were able to make more tighter turns etc., linger longer, and provide more time to view the landscape. More photo ops.

Denver, Colorado
6. Re: Do people choose doors off over doors on for photo taking?

Definitely for the pictures. If I was going to spend that much money I had to be able to get great pics with no glare in them. I also wanted to make sure I had a guaranteed window seat so we went with Mauna Loa Tours and absolutely loved them.

Edited: 6:35 pm, February 03, 2013
Mt Evelyn
reviews: 7
7. Re: Do people choose doors off over doors on for photo taking?

I am like Peterpatch2 I like to experience things without worrying about getting a great photo. I find when I travel if you are always looking through the camera lens you miss the whole feel of the experience. I like the idea of doing the helicopter ride with a window seat and doors on and buying the dvd later but just wanted to check that the doors off was mostly about photos and not about enhancing the actual helicopter ride. Thanks

central cove
reviews: 72
8. Re: Do people choose doors off over doors on for photo taking?

Go with Mauna Loa and tell them you prefer doors on, they will do your tour that way. You are guaranteed a window seat, and they are great to deal with.

We have done both we prefer doors off.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 8
9. Re: Do people choose doors off over doors on for photo taking?

one other tip, the door on photo takers, it really is a good plan to wear dark clothing, or there will be a major reflection on the plexi glass which pretty much takes care of your photos. Notonly from your clothing, but there can be clothing reflections from what other passengers are wearing.

Agree with peterpatch, if you wish to have profressional photos or videos to show to friends. There also can be vibration from the helo, and wind effect from the speed of the helo thru the air.

Yes, we have done the doors off and doors on. Agree that there is no problem with safety and is was fun, and Erica took photos. She is major into nature and has some great pics of kauai, and other places around the planet, but she was not pleased with the result of the doors off flight pictures. Pretty finicky photo lass, she is.

Personally, and we all are different, just a thought, back up your personal photo shots with some of the profressional. I would just rather enjoy the flight, and not have the eyeball thru the lens on a constant basis. But, we all are different, have a great time doing what is important to you.

Denny

Edited: 9:14 am, February 04, 2013
Sylvania, Ohio
reviews: 24
10. Re: Do people choose doors off over doors on for photo taking?

i vote doors off.....much better experience all over.

Reply to: Do people choose doors off over doors on for photo taking?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lihue