We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai Car rental

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
reviews: 84
Kauai Car rental

Not a question, but I just returned from Kauai, where I rented a car from Discount Hawaii Car Rentals. I discovered this company on TripAdvisor; this was the first time I'd rented from them. I heartily recommend them. I was able to arrive earlier than expected, but I called, and the selected company (Enterprise) had a car ready. I've just booked another trip to Kauai for April and have again reserved with Discount Hawaii Car Rentals. The quoted price is about $150 less for a week than what I was seeing on other sites (this will be with Avis). So it's all good!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 104
1. Re: Kauai Car rental

DHCR is great, we've used them multiple times....almost always they have the best rates and having the extra driver at no charge is icing on the cake. Sorta funny too, since most of us will always recommend booking directly for anything else rather than using a 3rd party - DHCR is THE exception.

3Chihuahuas

Oregon
reviews: 84
2. Re: Kauai Car rental

Thanks for your comment on them, as I agree, I usually book direct, and was in fact a bit leery about them, especially when I arrived an hour and a half before I expected. And no comments from the car rental company or problems, so that's good too.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 41
3. Re: Kauai Car rental

I always use DHCR for rentals in the islands.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 46
4. Re: Kauai Car rental

I finally talked my husband into trying DHCR for his business trip in March. He always books direct. He was amazed that DHCR saved him over $300 for the same rental direct. I think I've converted him.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
reviews: 2
5. Re: Kauai Car rental

Just so everyone is clear, DHCR is a "travel aggregator" or a travel agent - one that specializes in rental cars. You're not actually renting the car FROM them, but THROUGH them - the same as booking a cruise through a travel agent. They get special pricing because of bulk discounts, a la Costco and Walmart.

We booked with DHCR back in 2011 and were reserved with Alamo, but when I started checking prices a month out, I got a lower quote with Costco Travel that DHCR couldn't match - so it's always worth checking out every option.

Mt Evelyn
reviews: 7
6. Re: Kauai Car rental

I have reserved a car through DHCR for September 2013. $300 for a compact car for 8 days. Does that seem like a good price? Is it likely to go down as time passes or up? I see people on TA talking about paying $20 a day for a car but cannot find that sort of price myself.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
7. Re: Kauai Car rental

CB, that's pretty high, but probably because it's so far out. Our economy car rental in November 2012 was $287.00 total for 15 days - DHCR put us with Enterprise. Continue to check for a better rate, even with DHCR (email them).

We've already booked our car(s) with them for Aug 2013 at HNL and LIH. Daily rate is pretty high, but I'm pretty sure in the coming months I'll find a much, much better rate (I always do).

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 5:46 pm, January 28, 2013
California
reviews: 89
8. Re: Kauai Car rental

I have used them for years. A few years ago I would reserve with them and kept checking other rental sites like Costco, Priceline etc and sometimes I could do better and would cancel with DHCR. Not lately. I just reserved my May car, checked Costco, AAA, and even direct with Hertz using some coupons, and nothing came close. They are also nice to deal with directly.

To answer your ? CB, the $20/day quote doesn't include taxes, airport taxes, taxes on top taxes so keep that in mind when someone says they are paying $20/day. Last year I got a Priceline price of $9/day. My taxes and fees added up to more than the rental. $300 for a compact for 8 days sounds high.

Massachusetts
9. Re: Kauai Car rental

I was having trouble with the Discount HCR website, how are you guys contacting them. Should I just call?? Thank you

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
10. Re: Kauai Car rental

Be patient. They seem extremely busy right now. It took almost 72 hours before they replied back to me.

3Chihuahuas

Get answers to your questions about Lihue