We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bon Dance

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Princeville, Hawaii
Bon Dance

Have the dates been set for the Bon Dances this summer? We'll be there in late July. Last time we went, we not only enjoyed the dancing but also the food.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 32
1. Re: Bon Dance

Aloha from Kaua'i!

No lists have been issued yet that I know of, it is a little early in the year for them to publish it. I'd keep an eye on this site that I've linked to...it will have the Bon Dance locations when they are announced:

www.kauaifestivals.com/festivals/06/2013/

However, there is a Bon Dance every weekend during the summer....so if you are here in July, you will have the opportunity to go to one (or two) while you are here for sure!

They have started the practices for the dancing I believe. Some year I'll have to try that!

Malama Pono,

Janet

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 94
2. Re: Bon Dance

Aloha Hitch! I've been looking for a schedule too, we'll be on-island in late August after 8 nights on O‘ahu, so am hoping all the festivals won't be over...we've never been.

3Chihuahuas

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 32
3. Re: Bon Dance

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Traditionally the last Bon Dance of the season is held the last weekend of August.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moraga, California
reviews: 80
4. Re: Bon Dance

Uh Oh! Hitchhiker is coming back.... :-)

Maybe 22kauai and I will see you there....

Edited: 4:47 pm, January 26, 2013
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
5. Re: Bon Dance

Currently at top of following link is the 2013 Bon Dance schedule:

http://www.koloajodo.com/news/

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 52
6. Re: Bon Dance

CTinAZ...

Thanks for the update on the 2013 schedule! Makes those 23 weeks we have to wait seem to go even quicker - makes things more real!

Question for all...

Our favorite has been the temple in Kapaa but we seem to always miss it lately. We've attend the one in Lihue and found it extremely crowded. Does anyone have a "favorite" they could recommend that it would be worth our while to drive in the dark for?

BARB

Princeville, Hawaii
7. Re: Bon Dance

Barb, we went to the one at Hanapepe (sp) (Soto Mission). That is the only one we've been to but we were so impressed that it is one of the must do's on our agenda. The dresses that the ladies and little girls wore were really amazing. You could tell that mom's were definitely teaching their children the tradition. That night past just too fast.

http://tinyurl.com/a6d4nns

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 52
8. Re: Bon Dance

HItchHiker...

Thanks! Unfortunately, this year it looks like we're always going to be in the wrong place at the wrong time! The weeks we're in Lihue, the dances are on the west side and the week we're in Poipu, the dance is in Lihue! But the only thing stopping us is driving so far in the dark - we'll get over it!

Again, thanks.

BARB

NM
9. Re: Bon Dance

Please explain what the bon dance is. We might like to go in June. Thanks!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 94
10. Re: Bon Dance

This is an easy explanation:

hawaii.com/travel/…bon_festivals.php

I'm surprised the dates aren't on the Kaua‘i Festival Calendar yet. We'll be at the Aug 30 festival!

www.kauaifestivals.com/festivals/08/2013/

3Chihuahuas

Get answers to your questions about Lihue