We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to the Island of Kauai....what to do???

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salem, OR
reviews: 67
First trip to the Island of Kauai....what to do???

My husband and I along with our FAVORITE in-laws will be traveling to the Island of Kauai in February 2013. We will be staying in a condo in the Poipu area very near Poipu Beach State Park.

Can someone please tell me sites, hikes, snorkeling areas, restaurants, and nightlife that we SHOULD NOT MISS!! We will also be there for the Superbowl on Feb 3rd and want to be sure we are watching the game at the best bar possible.

I will look forward to your responses.

Mahalo

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 33
11. Re: First trip to the Island of Kauai....what to do???

Aloha from Kaua'i!

No worries at all, but just a little clarification - Po'ipu Beach Park is a County of Kaua'i park, not a State Park (like Polihale State Park, etc.).

You've been given lots of suggestions here, I'd just continue researching and reading about Kaua'i - I'm sure you'll have a great time here!

Malama Pono,

Janet

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 104
12. Re: First trip to the Island of Kauai....what to do???

Not exactly off the beaten track, but some things to do that aren't on the usual tourist list:

The Hindu Temple - gorgeous grounds and amazing structure still being built. Take the free guided tour offered usually once a week, but call for a parking reservation.

himalayanacademy.com/ssc/…visiting.shtml

Lawai International Center - 88 Buddhist shrines, the most beautiful orchids you've ever seen. Very peaceful, interesting place.

http://www.lawaicenter.org/

Wai‘oli Mission House - if you like history, you'll love this. Probably just you and the docent as many people don't even know the house is there behind the famous (green) Wai‘oli Church.

www.hawaiimuseums.org/mc/iskauai_waioli.htm

Grove Farm Homestead Tour - more in-depth history, wonderful tour with really knowledgeable docents.

http://www.grovefarm.net/

Poi Day at Waipa - even if you don't volunteer, make sure to visit the Farmer's Market, it's one of the best!

http://www.waipafoundation.org/community_poi

West Kauai Technology Center - for a walking tour of Waimea. Also the Waimea Town Celebration is held February 16-23 (2013)

http://www.wkbpa.org/visitorcenter.html

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 5:59 pm, December 03, 2012
St. Louis, MO
13. Re: First trip to the Island of Kauai....what to do???

We're doing seven nights / six days in Kauai, but a summer trip. Here's our tentative itinary in case this gives you any ideas

Day 1

--Pick up groceries at the BIg Save and also check out Sucoka's (I hear it's a neat family run grocery with interesting items that has been around since 1916. We usually love places like that.)

--Relax a litle at Poipu Beach Park walking distance from our condo (can snorkel there I hear)

--Check out the Spouting Horn Blow Hole quite near to where we are

Day 2

Roberts Movie Tour (six hours) -- We are big movie buffs and this will show us all over including the North (Believe it our not this tour is the whole reason we decided to go to Kauai)

Day 3

-- Allerton Gardens (not too far from Poipu) // We will do the 2 1/2 hour tour // DS 17 really wants to see the Jurrassic Park trees

-- Relax at condo // plenty of nearby beaches etc. if we want

Day 4

-- Wings over Kauai plane tour (doing this rather than a helicopter due to budget and good reviews)

-- Check out Shipwreck Beach (probably just watch if their are surfers) // Here it is quite rough. I do love big waves though, was a competitive swimmer, etc. as a kid, have my water saftey instruction certifications -- but I won't be foolish if people say not to go in.

-- Lithified Cliffs (easy walk/hike near there)

Day 5

-- Walmea Cayon overlooks and a moderate hike TBD

Day 6

-- Napali Coast Boat Tour (inclues a short snorkeling stop)

(Back up if it's too rough and this gets canceled would be a little hike on the Maha'ulepu Trail or if some in party want to go north again they might do a day trip to Hanalei town, Ke'e beach, etc.)

Salem, OR
14. Re: First trip to the Island of Kauai....what to do???

Thank you so much for your reply. You have given me some great ideas and I am so looking forward to you first trip, hopefully not the last, trip to Kauai!

A very BIG mahalo!!!

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 9
15. Re: First trip to the Island of Kauai....what to do???

Best place to watch the super bowl in poipu is....

KALAPAKI JOES.....just FYI, you might want to make reservations for a table or place at the bar.....at least that was what was happening last super bowl.

Wear your jerseys and support your team....lots of fun cheering and having a grand and glorious super bowl sunday. The football party will definitely be on , big time !

We will probaby be watching the super bowl at KALAPAKI JOES in Lihue, same owner , just different store. We live next door so no driving.

Otherwise, agree with the other posters on getting the ULTIMATE KAUAI GUIDE BOOK and check out the top things on the far right hand side of the kauai trip advisor.

After doing your research, you can then select what feels good to you as far as activities, and then ask questions.

Otherwise, you are going to get what we like to do, and that might not be what you all might enjoy. Tailor your visit to your own comfort and fun zones.

Denny

Bakersfield...
16. Re: First trip to the Island of Kauai....what to do???

Personal favorite by far was Polihale Sate Park and Maha’ulepu Beach. Its jaw dropping.

Edited: 5:54 pm, December 05, 2012
Charleston SC
reviews: 69
17. Re: First trip to the Island of Kauai....what to do???

I will be going back in Feb wss there many years ago and only two things really stick out in my memory .. Dinner at Gaylords DO NOT MISS and a Boat trip of the Napli coast!! Will be doing both again. rented a jeep an toured around that was fun great beaches everywhere but can be very rocky in the edge of the beach

Taylors Falls...
reviews: 2
18. Re: First trip to the Island of Kauai....what to do???

As far as things to not miss, this forum will give you all the info you desire. Just read it. If you are an addict, like many of us, daily is the best dosage. You will learn so much and just know what fits you best.

Kauai does weird things to those that may over plan. The island might just lead you to relax, feel the "island time", and just follow what the day might offer. Let this special place on Earth do her own thing. Allow yourself to give in to her. Enjoy the drives, the people, the beaches, the vistas. Spend time driving would be my best Rx.

19. Re: First trip to the Island of Kauai....what to do???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, December 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Lihue