We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 days in July in Kauai and Big Island with kids...

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
reviews: 46
24 days in July in Kauai and Big Island with kids...

Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum and cannot figure out how to move it - wanted to place in Kauai forum not Lihue - my apologies! We are a family of five with three boys ages 10, 10 and 12 - all adventure seekers, and we will be visiting Kauai and Big Island for a little over three weeks in July. We took the kids to Maui and Oahu for nearly three weeks last year and now returning for the other two amazing islands which my wife and I visited alone many years ago. Based on your experiences, how many days do you feel will be adequate to fully explore Kauai? And do think, given that time of the year, it will be ok to stay in the North area and use that as our launching pad to explore? Are there any preferred sites to book a house/villa/condo for our stay? I have checked out VRBO and wondering if there are other recommendations... We might mix up our stay with several nights at the Westin villa property or Sheraton in Princeville and wondering if those places are good for kids? Thanks for your reply. I used Trip Advisor for our previous two trips and all the responses helped us tremendously!

Edited: 10:47 am, October 15, 2012
California
reviews: 89
11. Re: 24 days in July in Kauai and Big Island with kids...

Jumping off the cliffs will never be pushed on this forum. Most of us are anti this dangerous activity. How about jumping off the pier? I might go for that!

The North Shore swells are very small during the summer. As a RULE its winter big waves and summer flat as a pancake thus the surfing is better in Poipu May-Sept but the snorkeling, boat trips etc are premo on the north side and I highly recommend doing a lot of both of those.

Most condos offer pools. The only one I can think of on the North Shore that doesn't is Hanalei Bay Villas. Some complexes have teeny pools and some have really nice pools like HBR. The Westin is a nice property but remember these are timeshares. The larger 2 bedrooms with views go to owners and not those with points. July will be busy. For points you will get a studio. Will that be enough room for 5?

Not to be picky but Marion kept calling The Grand Hyatt "Regency Hyatt". If you are looking it up under that name you might get confused because that's not the name of the hotel.

Connecticut
reviews: 46
12. Re: 24 days in July in Kauai and Big Island with kids...

When we stayed in Maui during the Summer last year we got a two bedroom villa with points at the Westin. As for size, a one bedroom is doable but a studio is not so I will inquire as to what is available. Not knowing the areas that well and not being there to actually see the condos/villas/houses... finding it hard to settle on one or several. If we decide not to stay at the Westin, prefer to find a rental unit within walking distance to the beach. Does not have to be on the beach but walking will be great. Seems like a lot of rental units are located just north of Hanalei Bay which I think is Princeville - is this a good area to choose as a base? As for cliff jumping, definitely do not advocate that as well. We chose spots that had a lot of people jumping (Black Rock in Maui and Waimea Bay in Oahu) but understand your point and well taken!

To all, is it ok to provide links to three or four rentals and get your feedback, specifically regarding location? If not, that is ok but just thinking you have a lot of familiarity with the North Shore and can provide the best input.

Edited: 3:39 pm, October 15, 2012
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 41
13. Re: 24 days in July in Kauai and Big Island with kids...

The surf shop in Po`ipu is Nukumoi.

14. Re: 24 days in July in Kauai and Big Island with kids...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Lihue