We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Shore or Lihue/Kalapaki?

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 22
South Shore or Lihue/Kalapaki?

My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon for the end of June. We are staying at the Westin Princeville on the north shore for a week, then going down to the south shore for a few days at the end of the trip. We're thinking of staying someplace cheap in Lihue (Kauai Sands in Wailua) to save money, but I'm not sure if we should stay in Poipu or someplace else on the south shore. The climate in Lihue is more like the south shore than the north, right? Will we get the full 'south shore experience' if we're staying in Wailua? Thanks so much for your advice!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 46
11. Re: South Shore or Lihue/Kalapaki?

BTW, you can to call Parrish for their special rates. You will not find them on the website.

Bothell, WA
reviews: 71
12. Re: South Shore or Lihue/Kalapaki?

Wailua is more like Princeville than the south shore. Given the economic climate, you should be able to find a deal on a condo in the Poipu area. Beaches are so much better than Wailua. We have been going for years and the south side has much more to offer in terms of beaches and places to eat.

New York City, New...
13. Re: South Shore or Lihue/Kalapaki?

I couldn't find anything on the south shore for less than $115 a night. I figured I could find an equally nice place a bit further north and then we could drive south during the day (it's not like we plan to hang around the hotel, anyway.) I went back to Priceline and did the name-your-own-price again, and ended up with the Aston Aloha for $69. Hopefully it will work out!

Thanks once again for all your advice--I'll be back for more!

California
reviews: 89
14. Re: South Shore or Lihue/Kalapaki?

Aloha Beach is a mini step up from Kauai Sands. Good luck.

New York City, New...
15. Re: South Shore or Lihue/Kalapaki?

LOL! That's what I thought. Kauai Sands was $54 a night. I hope the extra $15 is worth it. :-)

California
reviews: 89
16. Re: South Shore or Lihue/Kalapaki?

If you like 1980's decor you will love it. The one good thing about Aloha Beach is the path behind the hotel. It makes for a nice morning walk. Lydgate Park is right there and has a good snorkeling spot. OK that's two good things about Aloha. That's all you get! LOL

17. Re: South Shore or Lihue/Kalapaki?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:52 am, October 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Lihue