We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jet lag

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
south carolina
jet lag

we are going to kauai the end of april and are so excited! we are flying from south carolina. there are a few flights involved and arriving at lihue at 7:30 pm. a friend who goes to hawaii often told us to change our flights, get a nights rest in LA and then go on to lihue arriving in the afternoon. sounds like a great idea so contacted airline and was told it will be a fee of $130 each (two of us) plus of course the cost of a hotel at the airport. we would rather have extra $$ for helicopter ride or something else and deal with being exhausted. are we wrong, should we rebook flights so we are not tired????

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 41
1. Re: jet lag

Coming west you shouldn't have too much trouble with jet lag although you'll be tired from traveling. Get in, get to your lodging, grab something quick to eat and go to bed. That will be plenty to do your first night.

You'll undoubtedly find yourself waking up early and going to bed early until you get used to the time change. Remember, when your system thinks it's 11:00am EST, it's 6:00am here.

The real problem comes when you fly east. I highly recommend getting on the plane and going to sleep immediately for as long as you can.

denville, nj
reviews: 12
2. Re: jet lag

I agree with pzp. You'll be tired the first night and will wake up early for a few mornings, but even if you're tired it's better to be on Kauai sooner rather than later. On one trip(out of 9) I stayed over one night in CA, and it didn't make that much difference, coming from NJ. Save the $$ and time for Kauai.

NE PA
reviews: 15
3. Re: jet lag

We fly from PA and never have experienced any bad affects from jet lag. We take the earliest flight available(usually around 6AM) and get to Lihue around 4:30PM. One the way back we take a 9 or 10PM flight and try to sleep as soon as we take off. We usually plan to spend the first day or two relaxing on a beach to recover from our long travel day.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 41
4. Re: jet lag

We did do the stopover in CA a few times, but on our way back to the east coast. It was much nicer to spend a night there, sleep in a bit and take a 9:30am flight than to get in at 5:00am and have a 7:00am flight.

Florissant, Missouri
reviews: 64
5. Re: jet lag

Whether you do it in 2 days or 1 you'll probably still be exhausted. So you might as well get the travel over with and spend more time in paradise!

Algonquin, IL
reviews: 5
6. Re: jet lag

I suggest one day, you will be more tired from having to checkin to your hotel in LA and have to go back to the airport the next day and get on another flight. Just get it over with in one day. Just the little break in LA will be nice.

I prefer to fly non-stop to Hawaii but from Chicago we can only get to OGG and HNL on direct flights.

Drums, Pennsylvania
reviews: 17
7. Re: jet lag

Have flown from Pennsylvania to Lihue 20 times and have never had jet lag going West.

Save the money for run things to do.

Princeville, Hawaii
reviews: 12
8. Re: jet lag

I agree the jet lag is going from West to East. We always take advantage of waking up early on the islands to get an early start to the day. I would give yourself an extra day before work once you get home. We never sleep well on a plane and with night flights, you get home not knowing what day it is. Definitely worth it however.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
reviews: 59
9. Re: jet lag

I vote for just getting to Kauai as fast as you can no matter the arrival time.

We finally arrived at our condo around 8 pm, made a quick trip to Koloa for groceries and then off to bed, exhausted. But, there is nothing like waking up the next morning after that looong day of travelling, and realizing you are in paradise!

You will, however, as posters have stated, be very tired on the way home, took us about 3 days to recover from our Hawaii hangover!

Bellefontaine, Ohio
reviews: 1
10. Re: jet lag

Husband and I fly from Ohio. We are very tired by 9pm Hawaii time, but that is also 3am in the morning for ohio.By the morning we are okay,and we just rest and relax at the beach that day and by the next day you are back to being relaxed and on Hawaiian time....I would not change anything as far as flights, save your money and get to Kauai as fast as your plane will take you!!!!!!!!!!Enjoy your trip

Get answers to your questions about Lihue