We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low cost activities on Kauai?

Which Kilauea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 1
Low cost activities on Kauai?

I am coming to Kauai from July 12 - August 17. We will be staying on Kauapea Road with 2 children ages 8 & 10. We are looking for activities that we haven't done on previous trips, and that won't cost lots of $$$. So far we have: sailed with Holo Holo, gone to Hiva Pasekiva (sp?) and Smith's luau, explored the Waimea Canyon, ziplined, and visited lots of beaches. I would like to limit my drives to the poipu area. Are there hiking trails that are doable for the kids? I welcome any suggestions!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 33
1. Re: Low cost activities on Kauai?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

A easy and beautiful hike here in the Po'ipu area would be out to the Maha'ulepu coastal area - you can drive to the Gillin's Beach parking area and then walk over to the beach - along there you can walk until you get to Kawailoa Bay and there is an easy trail that goes up and around the sandstone cliffs above the ocean - incredible views. None of this would be difficult - but you would have to be cautious if you go to the cliffs area as it goes above the ocean.

http://www.hikemahaulepu.org/8/

Easy to get to - take the dirt road immediately past the Hyatt (the paved road turns into a dirt road) - then take a right at the intersection going towards the ocean (past CJM Stables) and you'll come to a big dirt parking lot - the pathway through the ironwood trees is easy to find!

You don't need to pay big money (or any money!) to enjoy Kaua'i IMO - just go to the beautiful beaches and mountains - no cost for all that beauty.

Malama Pono,

Janet

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
2. Re: Low cost activities on Kauai?

Allerton Gardens has a trail that is nice for a change of pace.

California
reviews: 89
3. Re: Low cost activities on Kauai?

www.101thingstodo.com/hawaii/kauai/index.php

Free stuff:

http://www.davidallio.com/kauai/freetodo.htm

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 41
4. Re: Low cost activities on Kauai?

Walk or bike the new path on the east side.

Visit Kilauea Lighthouse. You can watch a short film, and they have binoculars that you can sign out.

Snorkel Ke`e, Anini and Tunnels (if it's calm). Also Lydgate - and there's a terrific play structure there.

Surfing lessons.

Beach-comb at Larsen's Beach. (NO swimming.)

Beach-comb Anini Beach.

Hike Sleeping Giant

Trail ride or lessons at Farias Arena ($40pp for an hour). You might negotiate a group rate, not sure. PM me.

Swim at Hanalei Bay.

Get Shave Ice at Wishing Well in Hanalei.

Hike the Hanakapi`ai Trail (first 2 miles of the Kalalau) and, if you want, another 2miles up to the falls. This is if you're in relatively good shape.

These are all north shore or east side.

Texas
5. Re: Low cost activities on Kauai?

Wonderful Ideas! Thank you all. I am going to have to spend some time looking through all of that info.

We were lucky enough to be on Kauai on May Day (I think) in 2007 and took the tour up into the lighthouse. I have the most amazing picts. of the lens and view from the open window.

LOVE the Allerton Gardens. Great picts from there too. :)

OK, I have one more question. Do you know if it is possible for us to get a permit to spend a night down on Secret Beach. That is one of our dreams. We wil be staying above Secret Beach, and really want to sleep on the beach at least one night. I know the last time we were there, someone had a big campsite nestled against the wall, but the security officer took it all away.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 33
6. Re: Low cost activities on Kauai?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I think you mean the beach up around Kilauea known as "Secret Beach" ---the Hawaiian name for it is Kauapea Beach and it is indeed illegal to camp there - it is not a state or county park facility and there is no way to get a permit to camp there. There are absolutely no facilities of any kind there.

Having said that - it is known for nude sunbathing and some of the "alternative lifestyle" types periodically set up temporary camps down there - usually they are busted pretty quickly to my knowledge.

It is a beautiful beach to enjoy - but definitely not legal to camp there.

"Swimming on this beach ranges from dangerous to impossible because there is no reef protection. Furthermore, an accepting adult mind is necessary as the east and west end of Secret Beach tend to be clothing optional. Nude swimmers and all-over tan seekers will almost certainly be encountered unless one stays at the center of the beach within a few hundred feet of the end of the access path."

Taken from: www.djhome.net/kauai/beaches/Secret.htm --- which has much more information as well about this beautiful spot.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Texas
7. Re: Low cost activities on Kauai?

Hi Koloagirl,

Yeah, I am very familiar with Kauapea Beach, aka Secret Beach. We will be staying on Kauapea Road for most of July and August. We have traveled most of the islands and have been to beaches all over Kauai, I think this is the best beach on the island! Of course, it is in our backyard when we visit, so I might be a bit biased. Thankfully, we have not encountered any nudity yet and hopefully won't this year either. Sorry if I sound like a prude, but I would rather not have to subject my kids to that.

So, it would be a big no-no to take a little tent down to the beach in the evening and then haul it back up the cliff in the morning? I am really tempted to throw caution to the wind and do it.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Oh, and I call it Secret instead of Kauapea because Kauapea is so hard to remember how to spell. :) Sorry.

8. Re: Low cost activities on Kauai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:27 am, November 18, 2010