We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Kekaha - should I regret this decision?

Which Kekaha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 7
Staying in Kekaha - should I regret this decision?

We are going to Kauai for 2 weeks in Sept ( first time except one day visit on cruise ship)

I looked around the web and trying to find something on a budget/not in a resort - away from crowds. With that in mind we found a suite in house in kekaha with only the highway between us and beach on the top floor for unobstructed views. Seems most locals live on west side so we get to enjoy authentic Hawaiian atmosphere. A big attraction is its the driest side of island (we are from Vancouver where rains a lot) Suite has all the toys + full kitchen etc. We are renting a car but my concern was have we isolated ourselves too much? Will we have to spent a lot of time driving. Besides wanting to see the entire island our biggest love is to hang out at beach, swim & snorkel. Guess I keep second guessing my decision wondering if I should had rented more central

Your Thoughts?

45 replies to this topic
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 32
31. Re: Staying in Kekaha - should I regret this decision?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

No offense "Alex A", but just a correction; the Po'ipu Beach area is here on the South Shore, not the West Side.

If Queen's Pond is still there when the OP is here in early September (it might be!), that would be a great, safe place to swim at Polihale State Park. It is there now and is beyond fabulous in terms of having a big, warm pond of water to paddle around in, safe from the surf of the ocean. Otherwise, Polihale is definitely not a "safe" place to swim for sure.

As mentioned before, Hanapepe is only 15/20 minutes from Kekaha, and Salt Pond County Park with its rock walled swimming area, lifeguard, pavillions, showers, bbq's and tidepools.....is a great place to swim and enjoy the beach. It would be the closest place to swim in the ocean from Kekaha.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moraga, California
reviews: 75
32. Re: Staying in Kekaha - should I regret this decision?

<<Its a house where the owners live and have a couple upstairs suites with decks and beautiful views of the ocean>>

Is it a legal rental?

As far as the comment about recommending snorkeling at Anini Beach, you have many better options in my opinion.

Milwaukie, Oregon
reviews: 24
33. Re: Staying in Kekaha - should I regret this decision?

Oh, I hope this works out for you! We have done the vacation "side trip" several time, on all 4 major islands. You won't have to worry about packing everything up and driving around to kill the time difference between check-out and check-in times, which would be the case if you actually split your stay and moved. On the other hand, it will give you the opportunity to experience another part of the island in more depth than if you just took day trips. Of course, you'll be double-booked for those two nights, but not that big a deal for budget travelers. I will look forward to your trip reports...be they positive or not.

western washington
reviews: 8
34. Re: Staying in Kekaha - should I regret this decision?

Just read your original message. We leave tomorrow morning for Kauai and will be spending two nights out of our nine at a VRBO in Kehaha. We are looking forward to it as it comes in the middle of our vacation with the rest of the time staying in condos in busy Kapaa. I'm sure Kehaha will have a whole different flavor.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 7
35. Re: Staying in Kekaha - should I regret this decision?

Great hope you have a wonderful time

please reply on this when you get back.... we leave in 3 weeks

Hot Springs Vlg., AR
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 50
36. Re: Staying in Kekaha - should I regret this decision?

I have never stayed in Kekaha, usually because my husband does not want to. There is a house there I would love to rent. I'd like to stay there with good friends that like to hang out at the house and cook. But since that is not mostly what we do on-island, I prefer to stay either south, east or north. But if you really want a non-touristy experience and don't want to go out to eat for your meals, Kekaha may not be a bad choice at al for you. Everyone has their favorite spots. You will find yours too.

Batesville
37. Re: Staying in Kekaha - should I regret this decision?

How's the beach at Kekaha? It was non-existent last summer. Has it returned?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 32
38. Re: Staying in Kekaha - should I regret this decision?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The erosion issue is still there at Kekaha Beach, but sections of it have "come back" at least to an extent....especially down by where the lifeguard station used to be.

They have been doing roadwork in the area due to the continuing erosion issue there.

I think you'll notice it looks quite different than it did this time last year.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Batesville
39. Re: Staying in Kekaha - should I regret this decision?

Good to hear that Kekaha is coming back. We've spent many hours there, particularly when the weather has been spotty in Poipu. A great local vibe: the keiki surfers and body surfers are great fun to watch, and we seem to have seen more young couples holding hands and otherwise engaging in PDA there than anywhere else on island! It's also a lovely spot to view winter sunsets.

Sorry to veer a bit off-topic here . . .

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
40. Re: Staying in Kekaha - should I regret this decision?

>>>Even you don't like the drive, Janet. To be stuck in that Lihue/Kapaa traffic every other day is not fun.<<<

OMG you have no idea how much I'd love to be stuck in the "traffic" in Lihue & Kapa'a everyday instead of LA and Orange County. :)

Please do trip reports Perk & KJ, even shorts ones, the west is seldom talked about as a place to stay.

Reply to: Staying in Kekaha - should I regret this decision?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kekaha