We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any beaches in Kauai with calm water to swim and snorkel?

Which Kapaa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
reviews: 3
Any beaches in Kauai with calm water to swim and snorkel?

I'm thinking about a family vacation in Hawaii, and more particularly Kauai. We would like to stay in a beachfront property that has calm water in which to swim and snorkel, if possible. I'm not too concerned whether the accomodations are resort, hotel, or vacation rental home, as long as it is on the beach. We would probably be traveling in the month of May.

Would love to get some feedback from all of you lucky ducks who have already been to the Hawaiin islands!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 35
1. Re: Any beaches in Kauai with calm water to swim and snorkel?

I haven't been in May, but I have heard that it is a wonderful time to go to Kauai. I would think the north shores will have the calm beaches then, so then you would want to look at staying in Hanalei, Haena or Annini for the beachfront calm water that has places to rent. You can also look at Princeville, but it is set up on a cliffside - you can access Hideaways beach from there.

As far as calm water for snorkeling/swimming - it can and does vary, but you will find places all over the island. Kapaa has Lydgate beach, which is good year round because it is a rocked rimmed area. There are some places in Poipu that remain fairly calm during the summer months, but I wouldn't know as I have not snorkeled in that area.

Take a look at the northshore today:

http://www.balihai.com/Blog/kauai-hd-webcam

I love the northshore of Kauai - so gorgeous! If you can give folks more details - like your nightly budget, I am sure they would make recommendations of places to stay. Happy planning! :)

Edited: 6:10 pm, August 05, 2011
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 33
2. Re: Any beaches in Kauai with calm water to swim and snorkel?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

May here is normally a lovely month - you should have no trouble finding a beach to swim and snorkel - whether it be on the North Shore or here on the South Shore in the Po'ipu Beach area.

The main point to make is that no matter when you come - your best bets in

terms of safety are to check daily ocean conditions at any beach prior to going in - and to stay to lifeguarded beaches also. We can make generalities, but things can change here quickly and so you need to check

ocean conditions on your own when you are here!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
reviews: 89
3. Re: Any beaches in Kauai with calm water to swim and snorkel?

May is wonderful (usually). This last May we saw more rain that usual, but I have gone in May for years and years and this year was different.

You have almost the entire island to pick from but I would avoid the area in Kapaa as you can't snorkel there.

Check out The Marriott in Lihue, Kiahuna Plantation (beachfront), Koloa Landing, condos like Poipu Kapili and places on the North Shore won't be beachfront but you are a short drive to some of the best snorkeling spots on the island and my favorite beach Hanalei Bay. No snorkeling here, but surfing, SUP, boogie boarding etc. Swimming is perfect.

www.summitpacificinc.com/kauai_map.html

www.poipubeach.org/visitor_info/faqs.html

http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauai.html (check the aerials of condos and hotels)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 46
4. Re: Any beaches in Kauai with calm water to swim and snorkel?

I've bee considering this house for our next trip to Kauai. It is beach front on Hanalei Bay and maybe the right size for your group. Your teenagers will love Hanalei. You would need to drive a bit down the road to Tunnels or Ke'e for snorkeling. I've never snorkeled in Hanalei Bay but as jebett mentions, it's great for swimming.

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-homes/NALUB.html

santa rosa...
5. Re: Any beaches in Kauai with calm water to swim and snorkel?

Agree with Martik. Hanalei would be a good choice. As would Poipu. I see your tag name is "3 teenagers" so I'll take it that is what you'll be travelling with? If that's the case I remember all too well when mine were that age. They preferred to have some wave action for boogie boarding, surfing, etc. Hanalei Bay has a good selection of beach areas to pick from but if they're anything like my kids they'll be bored silly at Anini. At least mine always were and would moan if we went there. Staying on the beach in Hanalei would give them things to walk to also. This is true for Poipu Beach too.

California
reviews: 89
6. Re: Any beaches in Kauai with calm water to swim and snorkel?

I love that house too, Martik. There are a few right on that stretch of beautiful beach I would rent. Staying in Hanalei also allows the teens to walk into town. There are surf contests always going on and other fun events like paddling contests etc. Its a great place. It is not a big deal to grab the snorkel gear and drive the 15 minutes to Tunnels or Ke'e a bit further up the road.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 46
7. Re: Any beaches in Kauai with calm water to swim and snorkel?

I've driven by this house and it's sister house on many occasions. I think the kids would love it and it will be a great place for hubby and I to relax. I think I will also enjoy walking into town for happy hour, etc. I just need to figure out when we can make the trip next summer. We have a graduation in Eugene, hosting European teenagers and a possible trip to Spain and Italy on the schedule.

Seattle, WA
reviews: 6
8. Re: Any beaches in Kauai with calm water to swim and snorkel?

In Poipu, we notice a lot of snuba and snorkel tour guides using Prince Kuhio Park beach and the beach on the other side of of Kuhio Shores, Lawai Beach. There are bathrooms and a rental equipment shop. Very calm water and lots of wildlife.

Seattle, WA
reviews: 6
9. Re: Any beaches in Kauai with calm water to swim and snorkel?

In Poipu, we notice a lot of snuba and snorkel tour guides using Prince Kuhio Park beach and the beach on the other side of of Kuhio Shores, Lawai Beach. There are bathrooms and a rental equipment shop. Very calm water and lots of wildlife.

canada
reviews: 3
10. Re: Any beaches in Kauai with calm water to swim and snorkel?

Thanks Martik,

I have been trying all day to open the link that you sent me, with no success (something about the .html) while all of the other links have worked fine. If you have a chance, I would really appreciate it if you could send the actually property name so that I can look it up on the Parrish website.

After reading more today, I like the sounds of both Poipu and Hanalei so thanks to all who responded about those areas.

I am also now convinced that I want to look for a 3 or 4 bedroom vacation home on the beach. The budget is not an important to me as a great location and view.