We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which complex would you choose, and why? (sorry, kinda long)

Which Kapaa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Joseph, Oregon
reviews: 3
Which complex would you choose, and why? (sorry, kinda long)

Since we just returned from a trip to Maui, I am dealing with the post-Hawaii blues by spending hours planning our next trip - - back to Kaua'i! Yippee!!!

Due to some delays on the flight over, we have flight vouchers we just HAVE TO use before the end of this year. Darn! ; ) So, the trip will likely occur in early to mid-November and will coincide with my 49th birthday and our 25th anniversay! We will probably stay for 12 days. Just us two adults.

I have focused in on staying on the Coconut Coast this time for various reasons, so that's decided. And I have narrowed my focus so far to Wailua Bay Resort, Pono Kai and Islander on the Beach. I also looked at Waipouli, but we prefer a smaller, less resorty feel, so ruled that out. And the ability to get our "must-haves" at lower rates makes me feel all the more successful as the trip planner.

Here are the must-haves:

-Direct oceanfront complex with oceanview lanai (slightly distant views over beautiful grounds, pool, etc. is fine)

-2 beds (a 1 bedroom or studio with a murphy or pull-out sofa works)

-Kitchen or Kitchenette to make some light meals, snacks, pupus and tropical beverages. : )

-Pool (preferably heated) and Hot tub

-Easy access to washer/dryer (of course, in-room is fabulous!)

-Internet access (in-room is preferred, but not a deal breaker)

-Lots of opportunities to walk along the ocean, through beautiful grounds, to restaurants, shops, activities, etc. Even a couple of miles one way is doable.

Beautifully tropical landscaped, well-maintained, older, smaller complexes seem to have the feel we love.

Whatcha think? Mahalo in advance for your input.

Bellasadierubie

Hot Springs Vlg., AR
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 58
1. Re: Which complex would you choose, and why? (sorry, kinda long)

Of the choices you listed, I'd probably go with Wailua Bayview because all of the units have great views, but if you choose there try to get a unit farther away from the road (higher numbers). I like Islander on the Beach as well, but for twelve days, I think those rooms can get pretty small -- they are more the size of an average hotel room with a tiny kitchenette.

However, Id suggest you also take a look at units at Lae Nani. You can get both one and two bedroom units there with great ocean views. The units we have rented there also had a washer and dryer in the unit. You can easily walk to shops and restaurants there, but because the complex is located right on the point of Wailua Bay, the beautiful grounds offer more privacy than a lot of other places on the east coast. If you go through an owner, there have been some bargains lately. They also have a very nice oceanfront pool.

Orange County, CA
reviews: 4
2. Re: Which complex would you choose, and why? (sorry, kinda long)

Have you checked rates at the Kauai Coast Resort? Seems to fit all of your criteria well, and they have had very good rates recently ($138/night for 1BR).T

Only problem might be their views....they recently switched to just two types, oceanfront and garden view. I'd say well over half of their garden units are ocean view/partial ocean view, but you can't be sure what you'll get. Very weird. Oceanfront units are for timeshare owners only.

3. Re: Which complex would you choose, and why? (sorry, kinda long)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:46 pm, January 19, 2011
Blackpool, United...
reviews: 31
4. Re: Which complex would you choose, and why? (sorry, kinda long)

We stayed at Islander on the Beach last summer in an oceanview condo booked privately through VRBO. We had the small room described by kimocat and it was cosy for the 2 of us, but came equipped with all the extra bits, eg. guide books, novels, beach chairs/mats, cooler etc. Our owners also rent 2 other larger ones, both with ocean views - and what views!

Islander was great and the grounds were beautiful, with lots of plants and trees, and very well kept. Reception had free wi-fi and sofas outside to sit on. The beach walks were beautiful, 25yds from our condo, but it was shore walking in August, not swimming in those breakers - don't know what it would be like in Nov. There is a laundry on site, but I think the larger (either 1 or 2 bed, sorry can't remember) unit has them in the condo. The pool area is great too, with a bar and bbqs to use, and right on the edge of the beach.

If you are considering renting privately, I can give you a link if you want to PM me. You'll love it wherever you go though!

Hayward, CA
5. Re: Which complex would you choose, and why? (sorry, kinda long)

Pono Kai is one of the older complexes on Kauai. But the grounds are well maintained. It definitely gives you a smaller feel and you can get an oceanfront unit if you stay in buildings A,B,C or D. In addition, the bike/walking trail is right in front of you. If you stay there, make sure you get a unit owned by the Pono Kai Interval Association (and managed by Bluegreen Resorts). 17 of the units are managed by Pacific Fantasy another 74 units are independently owned. Most of these are being used as second homes or rental property. They are in a rental pool managed by Marc Resorts. A majority of the negative reviews that I come across are units that are managed by the latter company.

San Diego...
reviews: 44
6. Re: Which complex would you choose, and why? (sorry, kinda long)

What Dr. G said!.

Lae Nani is a good choice if you are looking for smaller. If IOB is in the mix, there's no reason to skip the Waipouli Beach resort if you get the right price. Both have about 200 rooms so the difference is negligible. Ditto Pono Kai (240 units) and the Kauai Coast(beachboy) at 108 units.

oyster.com/hawaii/…review-main

People here speak well of the Kapaa Sands condos -- 22 units. There's another condo bldg right in there by Wailua Bay, Sands,Lae Nani with just 10-15 units. The one I saw was very big and they were asking $1.8 meg for it so their rental prices may be pretty steep. (Lani Kai?)

Joseph, Oregon
7. Re: Which complex would you choose, and why? (sorry, kinda long)

Mahalo everyone. I very much appreciate everyone's assistance.

8. Re: Which complex would you choose, and why? (sorry, kinda long)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 29, 2012