We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kukuiolono in Kalaheo - a little background history!

Which Kalaheo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 32
Kukuiolono in Kalaheo - a little background history!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Following the Garden Island's celebration of the Kaua'i Museum's 50th Anniversay - each day they are publishing a little tidbit of island history - Chris Faye, the Curator of the Museum put together all these great stories.

Today it is about the origins of Kukuiolono in Kalaheo - which today is mostly known for Kukuiolono Golf Course - one of the most beloved "local" spots around!

Here is the link:

thegardenisland.com/news/local/article_17a97…

Hope that any other history buffs enjoy these little stories - I know I do!

Malama Pono,

Janet

BC Canada
reviews: 10
1. Re: Kukuiolono in Kalaheo - a little background history!

I have been lurking mostly for awhile, but I do very much enjoy these gold nuggets on the history of Kauai. Thanks so much for posting them.

We are back again in Feb for our 6th trip and can't wait. Learning a little more history makes it even more special! (Now if I could only get those pronunciations a little quicker - I'm still at the stage of slowly speaking every syllable.......)

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 8
2. Re: Kukuiolono in Kalaheo - a little background history!

Most of the local people that golf there, just call it " Kukes " , or the " chicken course"

I think it is pretty darned neat, and a while back, I think it was about $ 6.00 for most anything....the green fee, rented clubs, etc.

We had friends who live up in that area, and when we went over there for dinner, afterward, we would walk over to Ku-ku-eee-oh-low-no. The golfers were all finished , and the course was closed....but

What marvelous views and sunsets. With no one else around. Wow !

Denny

Alameda, CA
reviews: 7
3. Re: Kukuiolono in Kalaheo - a little background history!

Thanks Janet, that was great!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 32
4. Re: Kukuiolono in Kalaheo - a little background history!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I love Kukuiolono - a great place to walk as well - and sometimes I'll drive up there to eat my lunch in the parking lot facing west - you can see all the way out to Ni'ihau - so gorgeous!

There is also a little pavillion you can rent for events - this is located on a bluff with a panoramic view of the South and West sides - you turn left at the little "intersection" where the deer is? You have to reserve it in order to use it, I just went to a bridal shower there recently - a more gorgeous location would be hard to find!

Such a good feel there at Kukuiolono - I don't play golf, but I do go up there frequently either for a walk or just to enjoy the views - so lovely!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Austin, Texas
reviews: 2
5. Re: Kukuiolono in Kalaheo - a little background history!

Mahalo, Janet, for posting. This is one of our fave spots on the island. My husband and I are both golfers (albeit not really serious ones), and although this is certainly not a resort course, it is a lovely setting with wonderful views. I think the chickens add to its quaintness.

This trip, my husband went to golf without me as we decided our 3 year old would be hard to contain, but we did go up as a family to walk at sunset. How beautiful, and what great memories! It is $9 now, Denny, to play but you can play all day for that rate!

Penny

6. Re: Kukuiolono in Kalaheo - a little background history!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 29, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Kalaheo