We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations - Bamboo Jungle House -Kalaheo

Which Kalaheo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 3
Accommodations - Bamboo Jungle House -Kalaheo

Re: Bamboo Jungle House BED & BREAKFAST

Recently I returned from a trip to KAUAI and had stayed at THE BAMBOO JUNGLE HOUSE.

PROS: The proprietors/owners are pleasant and accommodating with booking reservations and other inquiries. The room is clean and nicely decorated. The property is well landscaped, neat, and tidy.

CONS: This B & B is located on a busy traffic route, even though the location is quite rural. There is a neighbours' dog who barks at all hours. AND, of course, there are the roosters!

I mention the roosters as these are plentiful throughout the island and crow anytime during the day or night - but especially at 5 o'clock in the morning. Naturally, the owners of the B & B cannot be held responsible for the roosters. Ear plugs are provided in the room. However, for me, these were ineffective. The windows are a "Venetian-blind style" so that even with these fully closed, the sound of the roosters could not be blocked out. I realize that the roosters are just being roosters. BUT if you wish to "sleep in" during your holidays, perhaps it would be best to check out the hotels in the area that have different kinds of windows which close tightly - preferably double-paned glass - and heavy draperies . . . or be prepared to be awake at 5:00 EVERY morning.

Breakfast is served ONLY and SHARPLY at 8:00 in the morning. If a more flexible schedule is wanted/needed, other accommodations in the area allow that flexibility for breakfast/brunch.

Also, there are jacks but no telephones in the rooms. The nearest phone - other than asking the owners to use theirs - is at a phone booth about a mile from the B & B.

Finally, the walls/ceilings between the rooms are thin. Conversations will be - and are - heard.

BOTTOM LINE: This location is for "early risers only."

California
reviews: 88
1. Re: Accommodations - Bamboo Jungle House -Kalaheo

Is it possible to post this under reviews for this place? Go to Bed and Breakfast on Kauai and post this review there by copying and pasting.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 3
2. Re: Accommodations - Bamboo Jungle House -Kalaheo

Okay. This posting has been submitted to the WRITE A REVIEW section. :0)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 44
3. Re: Accommodations - Bamboo Jungle House -Kalaheo

It's kind of funny to me.... there have been multiple comments on the roosters on Kauai on many, many threads. I have never been bothered by them, ever. I do remember hearing them last June when we stayed in a house in Poipu but they never woke me up and certainly, not at 5:00 a.m. The next time you come to Kauai, try getting a place closer to the ocean? I find that the sounds of the ocean drown out any noises from the roosters. Though, in June 2008 and June 2007, we stayed away from the ocean in a private home but still, no problems with the roosters. We'll see if they are an issue in August when we stay at Nihi Kai.

And I prefer not staying in B&Bs. They always serve breakfast too early for my tastes. Even the motels along Route 66 all served breakfast too early. I guess we are just not morning people.

Edited: 1:06 pm, June 22, 2010
Michigan
reviews: 1
4. Re: Accommodations - Bamboo Jungle House -Kalaheo

<<We'll see if they are an issue in August when we stay at Nihi Kai.>>

I never heard one or even seen one at Nihi Kai

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 44
5. Re: Accommodations - Bamboo Jungle House -Kalaheo

I don't remember ever hearing roosters at Nihi Kai but it's been several years since we have stayed there. In the 20+ years we've been going to Kauai, the roosters have never been a problem and we have stayed in a lotof different places on the south shore.

California
reviews: 88
6. Re: Accommodations - Bamboo Jungle House -Kalaheo

Once you get out towards the hills the roosters get worse. I can't ever stay at my auntie's anymore unless I want to woken up at 2am.

Any B and B with the name "Jungle House" in it is sure to have critters.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
7. Re: Accommodations - Bamboo Jungle House -Kalaheo

Yeah, it's funny how before I moved to Hawai'i, I thought "jungle" sounded lovely and wild, romantic. Now I hear "jungle" and I think of mosquitoes, bugs, and critters that make noise. "Beach" is the word that appeals to me now. Not that it didn't before, just that I'm over the jungle or rain forest thing.

If a rooster is right near a window, it's really hard to sleep through the night unless you are one of those super sound sleepers. Roosters in the distance aren't a big deal. I have yet to find a house in Hawai'i where I can sleep with the windows closed. I need the air flow, and in fact I can't even handle blinds or curtains over the window. I'm speaking here of a house/cottage, not a hotel or condo with A/C.

I like my breakfast early, about 9:30 or 10 is good for me. ;-) Noon on weekends.

8. Re: Accommodations - Bamboo Jungle House -Kalaheo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:23 am, December 20, 2010