We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best boat for Napali Coast but vertigo risk

Which Hanalei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
reviews: 38
best boat for Napali Coast but vertigo risk

We will be in Hanalei in a couple of weeks and would love to do a boat trip along the Napali Coast. I have a history of vertigo, and I know any boat trip poses a risk for me (I have meds just in case), but I would like to find a more stable, less rocky boat option. Don't want to spend time snorkeling, since my husband doesn't. Any ideas?

Soddy Daisy...
reviews: 36
1. Re: best boat for Napali Coast but vertigo risk

No boat is without risk. Morning trips tend to be calmer than afternoon trips. But when the ocean is rocking, boats do too, regardless of size. I personally do better in the smaller rigid-hull inflatable than I do in the larger boats, but that probably varies with individuals. If you really think you are at risk, and you want to see the coast, think about a morning Wings over Kauai flight. the Aircraft is a GA-8. It looks like a flying minibus and is really quite stable. There is risk of vertigo there too, but not as much. Bruce is very solicitous of his passengers' well-being.

Edited: 10:35 am, July 26, 2013
Soddy Daisy...
2. Re: best boat for Napali Coast but vertigo risk

Oh, and the flight is one hour versus four hours on a boat. Huge difference if you are feeling woozy.

Philadelphia
reviews: 38
3. Re: best boat for Napali Coast but vertigo risk

We were planning on doing a helicopter tour of the island. Should we consider the Wings plane instead of or in addition to a helicopter tour? And if there is a helicopter co. you would recommend, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks.

California
reviews: 89
4. Re: best boat for Napali Coast but vertigo risk

I wouldn't do both Wings and a helicopter tour. Choose one that will be best for you.

Just remember that if you have vertigo and are on a boat, its a long way back to get off. If the boat has to turn around because of you, there will be other visitors who get their boat tour cut short too.

Type in helicopter into the search box above. There are hundreds of threads with this question. They all do the same flight plan, but some companies have bigger equipment, one stops at Jurrasic Falls and others have doors off options. Jack Harter is a good company.

If you want to do a boat trip I recommend Holo Holo Rigid Inflatable. This is a very popular tour so you need to make a reservation yesterday.

Soddy Daisy...
5. Re: best boat for Napali Coast but vertigo risk

If vertigo is a concern, I would pick the fixed wing over the rotary wing; I wouldn't do both. They cover the same route. Both offer a splendid view of the Na Pali Coast and the remainder of the island.

Re the small boats, Holo Holo has a good rep. My favorite is North Shore Charters. The office is in Kilauea and launches from Anini Beach. At this point, you want someone with a vacancy. wish you the best!

6. Re: best boat for Napali Coast but vertigo risk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 28, 2014