We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanalei Bay Resort... Close to beach???

Which Hanalei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fontana, California
Hanalei Bay Resort... Close to beach???

Looking for a place to stay on our second trip to kauai. I like the Hanalei Bay Resort but im wondering how close is it to the water? In some pictures it looks very close and in other maps/pictures it looks like a hike!? Last time we stayed at the Waipouli condos and we loved being able to walk to the beach every morning & watch the sunrise. SO does the Hanalei Bay Resort have a beach close enough to walk? It's ok if it's not a great swimming beach we just like the idea of being able to sit on the beach close to the condo.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 97
1. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort... Close to beach???

The beach is down below. HBR has golf carts to take you down and bring you back up (you call from the beach). Actually the golf carts take you everywhere on the property (no cars allowed). jebett can give you ANY info you need on HBR. It's a gorgeous place to stay!

You posted twice, you may want to remove the duplicate (from the drop-down box at bottom of post)

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 7:05 pm, June 13, 2011
California
reviews: 88
2. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort... Close to beach???

The beach (Puu Poa) is down a paved path, not a dirt path like some North Shore condos have. It takes me 5 minutes and 10 up as there is one steep area as you go back up. This small but long beach is shared with the guests of the St Regis. As you come down the path you see the fence for the SR pool on the right. At the beach itself you see loungers with signs saying for SR guests only. You can use go to the bar and restaurant at the pool area. This beach has some rocky spots but snorkeling has been better lately like in years past. While the hotel went through a renovation snorkeling was not good. There is a lot of good shady areas to park a beach chair.

At the entrance to the beach path is a call box if you want the golf cart to come and pick you up.

It is an okay beach but not the best on the North Shore. It is nice to have when you don't feel like getting in the car and driving. It is nice for sunset viewing but quite honestly the views from HBR are so gorgeous from the bluff too. I enjoy walking down in the mornings with my coffee to go cup and watching the sun come up. You can see the surfers from the beach, as well as the bluff at HBR.

Eagle Rock
3. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort... Close to beach???

Wondering if you can walk/wade across the river mouth from Puu Poa and continue on a longer stroll around the bay?

California
reviews: 88
4. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort... Close to beach???

You can, but it is not recommended. If the river is high it can be dangerous. I have seen people do it but there are numerous rocks (actually large boulders) and you could slip and hurt yourself. I have also seen people swim around. I wouldn't do this either, but I am just reporting what I have seen.

5. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort... Close to beach???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 03, 2012