We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable groceries???

Which Hanalei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Apple Valley, CA
reviews: 20
Affordable groceries???

We will be staying in Princeville at the end of this week and we will be preparing most of our breakfasts, some lunches and some dinners, so we will need quite a few groceries for our one week stay. I hear the Foodland in Princeville is very pricey.

Other suggestions? If we have to drive a bit I just want to know if it's worth it.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 33
11. Re: Affordable groceries???

Aloha from Kaua'i!

No "Foodlands" from Lihu'e to here in the Po'ipu area - but there is a Big Save Market in Old Koloa Town as well as the great Mom and Pop grocery stores of Sueoka Store (in Old Koloa town) and Kukui'ula Market on Po'ipu Rd. across from the Fire Station.

I know you asked about "affordable" - Costco is certainly the most affordable place that many of us shop - but I also patronize the local stores here on the South Shore - especially Sueoka Store and Kukui'ula Market - lots of charm, local foods (and specialty items in their delis) and friendly folks!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
reviews: 89
12. Re: Affordable groceries???

<<How about if you are driving from the Aiport to Poipu, any Foodlands in that direction?>>

What about Times Market? That is on the way. I often stop there if I make a malasadas stop at Kmart. Its in the same area.

To any locals. Have they broken ground on the new Safeway in Pihue?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 33
13. Re: Affordable groceries???

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The new Safeway in Puhi - if they are putting it in where I think they are (down by the YWCA) - then no - they haven't broken ground yet that I've seen.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 1
14. Re: Affordable groceries???

Sounds like you're arriving on Friday night. The Foodland in Waipouli is open until 11pm and a bit cheaper than the one in Princeville. The Safeway is 24hr. Longs Drugs next to Safeway has lots of dry foods (no produce) and a good selection on beer and wine.

Saturday morning is the Farmer's market in both Hanalei and Kilauea, you definitely want to stop by one of those to load up on papayas, bananas, avocados ($1-$2 each, so pricey, but worth it--get there early for ripe ones), etc.

15. Re: Affordable groceries???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 25, 2010