We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Dress Codes in Hanalei?

Which Hanalei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
reviews: 46
Restaurant Dress Codes in Hanalei?

We're planning our honeymoon trip to Hanalei for June, and I'm looking into what restaurants we'd like to eat at each night. So far I'm thinking Baracuda, Polynesian Café (for lunch), Postcards Café, Hanalei Dolphin and Medertranian Gourmet.

I'm wondering what the dress code is at these restaurants? More causal or dressy?

Thanks in advance, it will be a big help with our packing!

Hot Springs Vlg., AR
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 57
1. Re: Restaurant Dress Codes in Hanalei?

You can wear about anything you want. None of these places are formal -- you'll see shorts, t-shirts, sun dresses, etc. Almost all restaurants on the island are that way, with the possible exception of the new St. Regis. Kauai is just a very laid back place.

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 46
2. Re: Restaurant Dress Codes in Hanalei?

Thank you so much! That's a big help!

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 40
3. Re: Restaurant Dress Codes in Hanalei?

The island uniform is pretty much shorts, t-shirt and flipflops. You may want to wear nicer shorts and top or an aloha shirt to "nicer" restaurants, but it's pretty much up to you.

California
reviews: 88
4. Re: Restaurant Dress Codes in Hanalei?

Polynesian Cafe? Honestly? I see more bathing suits at this place than clothing. It is nothing special and not even in the same category as the others. I skip this place but do know may of you like it. When I go to BarAcuda I do dress up a little more. You never know if Pierce Brosnan will be there and I want to look my best. LOL

Edited: 6:20 pm, January 13, 2010
Houston, TX
reviews: 5
5. Re: Restaurant Dress Codes in Hanalei?

I normally wear a casual dress (think thin knit) and flat flipflops (nice-ish ones) to dinner on Kauai. Just something easy to throw on after being in the sun all day. If you dress up much more than that, you look very out of place. One or two casual dresses can get you through a whole week, easily, since you only wear them at night.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 8
6. Re: Restaurant Dress Codes in Hanalei?

Very casual..Dont pack a lot like I used to do. I dont even know why I take a makeup bag. lol

Pack light so you can bring some treasures home!!

Los Angeles...
reviews: 295
7. Re: Restaurant Dress Codes in Hanalei?

Personally, I like getting out of shorts and a T-shirt at dinner time. Makes the event a little more special. And this is your honeymoon, so you will have photos to last a lifetime.. I say get a few cute sundresses and nice sandals. You can pick up some of the chunky island jewelry to go along with the outfit and the tan.

California
reviews: 88
8. Re: Restaurant Dress Codes in Hanalei?

I'm with you Ana. I take 2 or 3 outfits to wear at night. It's not over the top sequins but its fun to have a drink at The St Regis or go to BarAcuda and dress up a little. Good advice on picking up some cute funky jewelry. One of my favorite places to do that is Sand People. I have bracelet that get oohs and ahhs all the time from this store in Hanalei. They also have a store in Poipu.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
9. Re: Restaurant Dress Codes in Hanalei?

oh, Jebett - I am still chuckling over your comment about 007. :)

You can always dress up - it is your honeymoon, but most folks on the island will be very casual. Have fun! :)

Pembroke Pines...
reviews: 22
10. Re: Restaurant Dress Codes in Hanalei?

Are there any restaurants more suited for a suit and tie look? We are also coming for our honeymoon and have reservations at The Eastside, Hukilau Lanai, and Beachhouse. Will a suit be "suitable" for these restaurants or will I look out of place.