We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any insight on VRBO #28312 (Auntie's in Wainiha) or #171793?

Boise, Idaho
Any insight on VRBO #28312 (Auntie's in Wainiha) or #171793?

Hello!

Can anyone out there offer some info/experience with either Auntie's vacation rentals (VRBO 28312) or VRBO #171793? Planning our honeymoon and want to rent in Haena (going in May/June). Both are close to Kepuhi beach, near Hanalei Colony Resort. (Google map 5-6935 & 5-6957 Kuhio Hwy). 171793 has many positive vrbo reviews but I can't find any reviews for Auntie's.

From what I've read, that beach can be a little rough & isn't the most pristine, but the price range works for us & we don't mind walking the beach to get to nicer ones up the road. I also see much more expensive rentals on the same beach...so it can;t be that bad, I think. We're not looking for fancy, just comfortable & affordable, close to the beach. I realize the road is right there, but am not sure how busy it gets or if you notice that once you're on the beach.

What about staying in this area vs Alamihi Road?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited: 6:27 am, August 21, 2011
California
reviews: 89
1. Re: Any insight on VRBO #28312 (Auntie's in Wainiha) or #171793?

Have you thought about staying at Hanalei Colony Resort? It is quite popular with honeymooners who want a quiet experience. I don't really know those homes except their location and you need to make sure to read lots and lots of reviews on each, as homes in that area tend to get musty and moldy due to the rain. End of May and early June, the road noise won't be as bad as from mid June to late August. Everyone and their brother will be going to the North Shore beaches!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 46
2. Re: Any insight on VRBO #28312 (Auntie's in Wainiha) or #171793?

It looks like both of those homes are across the street from the beach. There is a fair amount of traffic that goes through that area and as jebett mentions, those places will be damp plus I cannot imagine the mosquitos! I personally love Hanalei Colony Resort and it sits right on the beach. No traffic noise, very nice pool area, BBQs (both charcoal and gas and they provide the charcoal), washer/dryer, maid service, fresh towels each day, a kitchen, and a great restaurant on the premises (Mediterranean Gourmet). I wrote a review from our last stay in June. You can probably get a garden view unit for the same price as one of these cottages (just ask, don't go by the rack rate).

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
reviews: 71
3. Re: Any insight on VRBO #28312 (Auntie's in Wainiha) or #171793?

We actually stayed in the Garden Cottage (#171793) in June for a week. We really enjoyed it and thought it was a great value for the price. It is far enough off the road that we didn't have any road noise at all. Even though it is on the same property as the main house, it was still very private.

You can't get in the water at the beach across the street except maybe just to get your feet wet, but you're only a short drive to any of the other great north shore beaches.

Just understand this is not a huge cottage - basically a studio with the bed and kitchen all in one room. There is no indoor shower, but that was not big deal for us as we actually prefer the outdoor one - even took a couple showers in the rain. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Edited: 6:01 pm, August 21, 2011
Boise, Idaho
4. Re: Any insight on VRBO #28312 (Auntie's in Wainiha) or #171793?

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies, jebett, martik and DesertBeachLover! I'm in spreadsheet information overload and want to make the best decision, so it's nice to hear 1st hand accounts and tips.

As for HCR: had looked at it, and it is beautiful, but the rack rate on being $100 more per night than these cottages had steered me elsewhere. However, I will take your suggestion and ask vs assuming the rate rate. We were thinking that a stand alone cottage would be more a more private, authentic north shore home experience than a condo, but that may be flawed thinking? (I was also thinking less expensive=perhaps not as nice location/place=being able to stay longer). If indeed the garden view price is comparable to the cottages that would easily warrant reconsideration...

As for dampness & mosquitos: This may be a dumb question, but why would these be a greater issue at the cottages' location vs just down the same beach HCR?

What do at you all think about rentals on Alamihi Road? Is the closest beach Kepuhi also? Seems there'd be less road noise, but farther away from the beach and not sure if you can hear surf from there...

Thanks again!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 46
5. Re: Any insight on VRBO #28312 (Auntie's in Wainiha) or #171793?

<<As for dampness & mosquitos: This may be a dumb question, but why would these be a greater issue at the cottages' location vs just down the same beach HCR?>>

The cottages you are looking at are across the street and in a more jungle area with less of an ocean breeze. Also HCR is very well maintained and cleaned regularly. I'm not saying any of the VRBO cottages are bad but you just never know.I've booked my share of VRBO units and they are all over the map on what you get. Also, I've never paid rack rates at HCR. I always call or email and ask for a better rate. I also like the extra amentities at HCR (BBQs, pool, jacuzzi, ocean front, maid service, laundry, onsite restaurant and coffee bar, etc). Just my 2 cents.....

Boise, Idaho
6. Re: Any insight on VRBO #28312 (Auntie's in Wainiha) or #171793?

meant to say HCR rack rate was almost twice the cottages price ($130 more per night), but again will ask for specials/other rates...thanks for the tip!

Boise, Idaho
7. Re: Any insight on VRBO #28312 (Auntie's in Wainiha) or #171793?

thanks martik!

ok, that makes sense, it looks like there's more jungle area there.

Those amenities would certainly be nice, I just figured we couldn't afford them :) I will definitely call HCR and inquire tomorrow on rates!

yes, I can imagine there's a wide variation on vrbo units...good point!

8. Re: Any insight on VRBO #28312 (Auntie's in Wainiha) or #171793?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, October 11, 2012