We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costco or no Costco

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 12
Costco or no Costco

Hi, arriving first week of January for a 2 week stay, just two of us, is it worth going? I do like their chicken, steaks and some of their veggies.

Does anyone know where to buy chicken and steaks that are just as good? I would love to buy local and go to farmers markets? So any info would be very kind.

Is there a farmers market? best place to buy whole Kona coffee?

Thanks for the advice we may not have to go to Costco if you know of better places, money does not really matter.

Thanks Barbara

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 69
1. Re: Costco or no Costco

I'm not a fan of the Kona Costco. They have little to no local produce, meats, even fish. It's crowded and a pain and not a great way to start out in Hawaii.

The best farmers market on the west side is in Waimea on Saturdays, where there are two. There's a smaller one on Wednesday that's very good for produce. In Waimea the large Foodland and at the Mauna Lani the smaller Foodland Farms sell local beef, fish, produce, and organic free range (but not local) chicken. Same with the KTA in Kailua Kona. Da Fish House in Kawaihae has fresh, local caught fish.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
2. Re: Costco or no Costco

My wife likes to stop at Costco for pineapples and maybe the small bananas. Usually we spend a week or less, so quantities more than we need. even though we usually eat in our condo. with two weeks, you may be able to use some things.

I can't remember one Costco from another so do not know differences on each island. I have been in Costco with her on Maui, Kauai and Kona.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 12
3. Re: Costco or no Costco

Thanks so much, yea no costco.

I will shop in the small Foodland and the farmers market. What does the market sell? local produce and fruit?Glad you told me about the fresh fish, will buy locally.

Thanks Barbara

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
4. Re: Costco or no Costco

Near the fish market, next to the Blue Dragon, is a small daily produce and flower market. Good for just stopping quick and getting some fruit etc. rather than a big event.

You might look at Waikoloa Village Market for island beef, and it also has an organic produce section. It's more of a full sized market than FoodlandFarms. I like FF a lot, but it is limited in the general groceries and sundries. They are both good for different things. If in Waimea, definitely Foodland. If you were looking for local food and Japanese, Chinese, Portuguese or Filipino food type special ingredients, KTA, which is a Big Island chain. They are also the only market selling Hawaii produced milk, Mountain Apple, which is a good buy too. Also people say the KTA poke is the best. I don't eat poke so I can't say if that is true. ;-)

Across the highway from Foodland in Waimea. Old funky store.

Edited: 8:03 pm, November 11, 2013
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 29
5. Re: Costco or no Costco

The Costco does have a no-fee ATM (your bank may charge you for using it, but Costco doesn't). Add that to the cheapest lunch on the island, it can be worth the stop. The Target now has an extensive food section with prices rivaling Walmart's, so it's a good place to get staples.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
6. Re: Costco or no Costco

I really can't imagine why anyone would eat corporate food in Hawaii. To each their own, but standing in line at Costco to eat a hot dog or pizza in Hawaii makes no sense to me.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
7. Re: Costco or no Costco

Aloha,

For interesting Maui Forum opinions regarding the Costco, here's the link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k696228…

Aloha

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 28
8. Re: Costco or no Costco

For two weeks, I'd be stopping at Costco for sure. Eggs, cheese, crackers, juice, snacks, and liquor! The liquor is crazy cheap compared to B. C. Also, Costco has a gas station, and while I don't know the price currently on the Big Island, it will most likely be cheaper than what you pay at home. The Costco on Maui is certainly way cheaper.

You can also pick up CDs of Iz, books about Hawaii, caramac chocolates, and even shorties for snorkeling.

It has been a couple of years now since I've been to the Costco there, but I don't remember ever having to wait very long.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
reviews: 53
9. Re: Costco or no Costco

Gas price at Costco in Kona for regular on Friday was $3.74/gallon. Very good for the west side. And they do have some local produce and other big island/Hawaii items. They also have a different wine selection then most other places around town. Kona Costco can be crowded at times, but they do very well at moving people through checkout, very efficient. My opinion, Safeway has the highest prices in Kona and the store is not a great experience. KTA stores in Kona are Ok for some things, but the stores are old and cramped.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
10. Re: Costco or no Costco

The Kona Costco has no local eggs and cheese, which you can readily buy at area grocery stores and farmers markets. I also would never buy wine there for reasons discussed here several times.