We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ResortQuest Shores of Waikoloa vs. Waikoloa Colony Villas

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatchewan
reviews: 2
ResortQuest Shores of Waikoloa vs. Waikoloa Colony Villas

My husband and I are deciding over the next couple days as to which complex to stay at. We prefer a quiet setting, shopping is not a big deal to us, close to the ocean would be nice. Condo #321 would be our accommodation at the Shores or #9496(vacation rentals.com at the Colony Villa. I've read reviews on both complexes, the Shores is giving us a better deal, but the Colony Villas appear more upscale, has a tram to the Hilton etc., Has anyone stayed at either condo in mid Feb or each March? Good/Bad experience?

hawaii
1. Re: ResortQuest Shores of Waikoloa vs. Waikoloa Colony Villas

Aloha,

The Shores are far older than the Colony Villas. Maybe 20 years older? So the Colony which is only about 4 years old is going to be far fresher/updated unit. The Shores are located closer shopping at the King Shops, Queen Shops, Beach Grill, and the Beach at Abay. So the location from a walking perspective is better at the Shores.

Vacationrentals.com looks like it is quite the VRBO site, and when you rent directly from an owner there is significant additional risk.

Resort Quest will stand behind their product and service should you have a problem while you are here. An owner on the mainland is there while you are here ...

Mahalo

Chicagoland
2. Re: ResortQuest Shores of Waikoloa vs. Waikoloa Colony Villas

I'd go with the newer properties.

As for the 'risk' of renting direct, I think that's greatly overstated. We rented at Shores from the agency and got a run-down unit. With direct rentals you can see exactly which unit you're getting.

I do agree that an owner should have an on-island caretaker you can easily find should there be any problems.

Palm Springs...
reviews: 55
3. Re: ResortQuest Shores of Waikoloa vs. Waikoloa Colony Villas

forget the owner....... go with resort quest they manage both propertys and have strict standards of quality

the Shores is about 18 years old, and has excellent grounds....mature trees and flowers.. huge lanais and larger units. Resort quest rents a lot of remodels that are great.......SHores is way bettter located to there is a restauraunt at the entrance.

its very wind sheltered.....feels way more hawaiian

The colonys are newer, very little landscape.. tiny tiny lanais. a mile from anything...2 story units means a lot of stairs every day...and due to its location, is very exposed to the winds which can rage in waikoloa

its a bunch of town-homes....newer that leave me cold

Omaha, NE
reviews: 27
4. Re: ResortQuest Shores of Waikoloa vs. Waikoloa Colony Villas

We just booked a return trip to a Colony Villa for the end of January; we were there earlier this year in January as well. The Villas are indeed very nice inside. No ocean view, and it is a long walk to the Kings Shops. Can be a long walk to the Hilton if you are staying at the southern end. We weren't bothered by the winds last year either.

Two nice pools, one designed for kids at the northern end and another one near the tennis courts with a waterfall and a hot tub. Get an actual unit number (not the code number on their web site), and you'll get a better idea of the placement. Some units have lovely views of parking lots and driveways, while others have views of the pool or golf course.

I didn't mind steps that much; I'm used to them at home and we loved the quiet since nobody was walking above us.

If you want close to the ocean, the Colony Villas aren't good choices since the closest point is at the Hilton, which doesn't really have a beach.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
5. Re: ResortQuest Shores of Waikoloa vs. Waikoloa Colony Villas

Re the wind --

I was in Waikoloa Beach Resort a couple days ago and the wind was whipping. First I was in a sheltered house in front of Kolea, where the wind was nothing. Then we went to Queen's Marketplace where there's no wind shelter and the wind was really strong. Not blowing us over but definitely battering at us and turning hair into birds nests.

Having wind shelter matters when the wind kicks up there.

If you are a visitor and you think that Waikoloa area doesn't get super windy, then I think you've caught it inbetween blasts. When it blows there it really blows. And it is not typically a sea breeze, but from up mauka, carrying a lot of dust and allergens. It's the trades that started out in Hilo, come through the Saddle between the two mountains, gathering force there and letting loose on Waikoloa, which is right in the wind funnel path.

Omaha, NE
reviews: 27
6. Re: ResortQuest Shores of Waikoloa vs. Waikoloa Colony Villas

I probably wasn't as clear about the wind. Last year, we got blown off of Hapuna Beach, but didn't have any issues at the Colony Villas. It wasn't calm, but it wasn't an issue in the pool or lanai. We might have been wind-sheldtered on our lanai. Maybe it was just those days.

But I have driven the Queen K enough to know about the cross winds...

7. Re: ResortQuest Shores of Waikoloa vs. Waikoloa Colony Villas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:12 pm, January 28, 2008
Gig Harbor...
reviews: 99
8. Re: ResortQuest Shores of Waikoloa vs. Waikoloa Colony Villas

I am in the same boat with different oars.

I am confused by the Villas - it seems I can get a 1bdrm, but the property maps show only 2&3 and so I wonder if they lock off top of one of the 2bdrms to contrive the 1bdrm. I do like the idea of nobody above or below - but not stairs. I like the look of the pool at Villas, but everything else seems hard and lifeless.

Shores is appealing and the lanais are enormous. They can only tell me to request floor or elevator and cannot guarantee either. I like the grounds, gardens.

Palm Springs...
reviews: 55
9. Re: ResortQuest Shores of Waikoloa vs. Waikoloa Colony Villas

Colony villas...wind exposes, stark landscape..steep stairs to beds and bath...tiny lanai

Shores...great grounds, older, massive lanai, same mgmt as colony, Huge 800sq ft one beds....I lived there for over a year while my house was being built.

A 15 min walk to beach, 5 to restauraunt, 15 to kings shops 15 min walk to Hilton.....3 min walk to Golf.... no stairs great BBQ areas and shaded parking....

10. Re: ResortQuest Shores of Waikoloa vs. Waikoloa Colony Villas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, September 18, 2009