We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel upgrade

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, AZ
reviews: 6
Hotel upgrade

Hello,

I will be checking into the Waikoloa Marriott tomorrow and have seen in many reviews of this hotel and others that they were "upgraded" to a better room. How is this done in Hawaii? Tips? Our current reservation is for a garden room and it would be wonderful to get an oceanview....

Thanks!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
1. Re: Hotel upgrade

Call them and ask. Are you a member of their loyalty program ... whatever they call their program where you accrue points for using Marriotts? If so, you chances are better ... and also, some hotels have upgrade policies for anniversaries, and other special occasions ... when they can.

Each property or hotel chain will have its own policies, so give 'em a call. If you are not satisfied with the answer - ask for a manager. So far, I have been pleasantly pleased, and surprised, with the quality of Mariott Waikoloa staff.

USA
reviews: 11
2. Re: Hotel upgrade

This is a busy time of year. You will not be able to get an upgrade if the hotel is full but it never hurts to ask.

Portland, OR
reviews: 38
3. Re: Hotel upgrade

Indeed, it never hurts to ask. Smile, be friendly and ask nicely. If your trip is a special occasion, mention it. Never lie about this, I know many travelers do, but karma has a way of balancing things out. Never hurts to ask!

p.s. the sure way is to pay for an upgrade, check the web site, call the hotel, and compare. If neither works ask again when checking in - if they cannot upgrade you for free, then move on to asking how much it would be to upgrade, you never know, it might be less than you think.

Good luck and happy travels!

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 1
4. Re: Hotel upgrade

echo--I agree with your sentiments about lying about special occasions to get upgrades (not that I'm implying meeks would ever do this, just a genera kind of concurrence). There was a guy on the one of the forums who boasted about he always got an upgrade by saying it was his anniversary--four or five times a year! Talk about sinking low....

Kona, Hawaii
reviews: 5
5. Re: Hotel upgrade

Aloha,

I always smile and ask if there is any chance for a complementary upgrade, it works a good 40% of the time. If it does not work I go and check out my room. When I see my room, if it is not what I want I ask to see an upgraded room. I do this before I unpack. At that point it is a matter of is it worth the extra $$ to us.

Regardless have fun, you end ups spending so little time in a room, showers and night time! At the Marriott I would be hanging on the beach at A Bay ;o)

Scottsdale, AZ
6. Re: Hotel upgrade

Just returned - and the Island was apparently on our side! They upgraded us at check-in, without me asking or anything! We had a wonderful oceanview room and had the time of our lives! The Marriott was great, and I am now head over heels in love with the Big Island!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mahalo for all of your suggestions :-)

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 35
7. Re: Hotel upgrade

Hey that is super. We love the Marriott even stayed there when it was an Outrigger and loved it then too.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
8. Re: Hotel upgrade

Thanks, Meeks ...

We're going in February ... first time to the BI. You're made me feel more comfortable with our choice of hotels.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
9. Re: Hotel upgrade

Thanks, Meeks ...

We're going in February ... first time to the BI. You're made me feel more comfortable with our choice of hotels.

Scottsdale, AZ
10. Re: Hotel upgrade

BLBL, I'm jealous! You are going to have such a wonderful time. Enjoy!