We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ABC Stores in Waikoloa Area/Grocery stores/Hilo Hatties???

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Fe, NM
reviews: 5
ABC Stores in Waikoloa Area/Grocery stores/Hilo Hatties???

I will be staying at the the Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Waikaloa Village during Easter Week 2007. I was wondering if there are nearby ABC stores, regular grocery stores, Hilo Hatties, etc....within 30 minutes or so driving distance??? Thanks for the help!

Washington DC...
reviews: 219
1. Re: ABC Stores in Waikoloa Area/Grocery stores/Hilo Hatties???

The Kings Shops don't have an ABC store but they have something--Whalers General Store, maybe? --similar with a grocery selection as well. I go there all the time but can't recall the name. Not a discount store.

For grocery store items I would go up to Waikoloa Village, about 20 minutes away. Waikoloa Village MArket has recentl expanded and has everything from basic items to souvenirs and has a deli and bakery and a good wine/liquor selection.

IMHO it is NOT worth it to drive to Kailua to get a lower price. If you are down there and want to stop on way back, OK. But don't drive an extra 2 hours to get groceries!

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
2. Re: ABC Stores in Waikoloa Area/Grocery stores/Hilo Hatties???

Also, a new grocery store has opened opposite the turnoff to public access parking at the Mauna Lani. Haven't been inside though.

The closest Hilo Hatties is in Kailua-Kona ... just a tourist trap these days IMHO, I wouldn't drive down to go there for sure. What are you looking for there?

Santa Fe, NM
3. Re: ABC Stores in Waikoloa Area/Grocery stores/Hilo Hatties???

I went to Hilo Hatties last year on Oahu and had a great time with the clothing and trinkets selection. I guess I am a tourist to be trapped! Ha! Ha!

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
4. Re: ABC Stores in Waikoloa Area/Grocery stores/Hilo Hatties???

fair enough, but there is better aloha wear made in Hawaii at other stores. Try the Kings' Shops Macy's and Kane; if you feel rich look at Tommy Bahaha's in the new Mauna Lani shops.

Hilo Hatties does hard sell now. They are a staple of the tour buses. I took some visiting friends to the Hilo shop last year and we emerged an hour later feeling tired ... waste of tiime we felt.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
5. Re: ABC Stores in Waikoloa Area/Grocery stores/Hilo Hatties???

yeah, that would be Tommy Bahama's not Bahaha's ... lol

South Pacific
6. Re: ABC Stores in Waikoloa Area/Grocery stores/Hilo Hatties???

If price isn't an issue, the Kings Shops is mostly high-end stores. For some reason, I don't think there's an ABC store in the whole area.

Just go to Walmart in Kona. Great place for groceries and souvenirs and Hawaiian stuff.

Omaha, NE
reviews: 27
7. Re: ABC Stores in Waikoloa Area/Grocery stores/Hilo Hatties???

The only ABC stores are in Kailua-Kona along Alii Drive...and for whatever reason, all 3 are within 3 blocks of each other. (Of course, on Waikiki, there's one on every street corner...)

Hilo Hatties is only in Kailua-Kona and Hilo. They have a very nice selection, but sadly overpriced. If you want matching aloha wear for the family, it works.

Kailua-Kona is about a 40 minute drive south, so Waikoloa Village is probably your best bet for groceries in a pinch. Wal-mart and K-mart are your best bets for staples (cereal, milk, etc.) if you are stocking up for the week. Somebody mentioned Whalers General Store in the Kings Shops...again, if you need something in a hurry and it's not worth the gas or time to drive to town.

Washington DC...
reviews: 219
8. Re: ABC Stores in Waikoloa Area/Grocery stores/Hilo Hatties???

Waikoloa Village Market is twice the size it used to be and much better than my local Safeway in Arlington.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
9. Re: ABC Stores in Waikoloa Area/Grocery stores/Hilo Hatties???

"If you want matching aloha wear for the family, it works."

Perhaps the single best reason to avoid Hilo Hattie's.

Unless you like being mocked ...

Santa Fe, NM
10. Re: ABC Stores in Waikoloa Area/Grocery stores/Hilo Hatties???

Everyone's helpful insight is very much appreciated!

Is Kailua-Kona worth a drive by itself? Interesting sights, shops, etc???